It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
Message Author

Post subject: EXPIRED: Win Titan Backup 2.3-All-in-one Backup Solution
New postPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:25 pm 

Congratulations to xrayjames who won the competition. Please respond to this thread by Nov 7, 2008 to accept your prize! For more information on how the winner is randomly selected, please check here.

Quote:
mintywhite.com is giving away one (1) copy, worth $39.99, of Titan Backup to one (1) lucky Windows Forums member! Simply register and make a comment to this post and write:

A) A short data loss story (share a friend's story if you've been lucky enough not to lose any data)
B) How you currently backup your files.

..and you will automatically be entered in a random drawing.

I would like to encourage members to subscribe to mintywhite.com if you haven't already done so because you'll get up-to-date articles from this site.

This giveaway closes at 11PM MDT(-7), Nov 3, 2008. The winner will be announced on this post on Nov 4, 2008. In participating, you agree to the official rules here.

Titan Backup 2.3
If you haven't heard (seen), you can head over here to get a FREE copy of Titan 1.5. You can read my review on the software there too.

In this review, I will share the extra features that come with Titan Backup 2.3 (trust me, they're good.)

Backup Open Files
In Windows, if you try to copy an open file, it often fails because the file is in use. Imagine you are 60% of the way through your backup and it fails--causing you to start again. Titan Backup 2.3 doesn't worry about open files... it backs them up anyway!

Backup Program Settings
Backups are great if you lose all your data, but they don't take care of program settings like Firefox bookmarks and cookies, or Adobe Photoshop settings. With Titan 2.3, you can decide which settings you'd like to backup (see Figure 2.)

Overall
Titan Backup 2.3 is a great piece of Software and you can win a free copy by entering the competition--as outlined above. I highly recommend this software and use it to back up over 2TB of my data on a weekly basis.

You can get a 15-day trial of the software at the Vendor's website.

Screenshots of Titan Backup 2.3

Figure 1. One lucky winner will get a free copy of Titan 2.3

Figure 2. Backup individual program settings so you don't ever lose them.

One lucky winner will receive a full copy of the software by following the rules above.

Last edited by Rich on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 424 times
Thanks received: 213 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: COMPETITION: Win Titan Backup 2.3-All-in-one Backup Solution
New postPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:21 pm 

a)I have a pretty sad story, but with a happy ending.
I have a Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista.
One day I copied some files to my desktop, to work on them. When I was done I tried to delete them, but it wouldn't work. My whole system was frozen, and I got The Blue Screen Of Death.
When I rebooted, the system would not load. Windows flatly refused to start. I got as far as the login screen (sometimes) and then it wouldn't respond to any commands.
Fortunately, somebody at Toshiba was very smart. When I tried for additional boot options I got some diagnostic tools I could use. I ignored the Windows stuff, and headed straight for the Toshiba Recovery System.
Basically, it was an image of the hard drive as it came out of the factory, Windows installed and all drivers working, saved on a separate, otherwise inaccessible partition of the hard drive.
I did that. It formatted my entire hard drive, and then installed Windows and all drivers. The whole thing took a few hours, but I had a clean slate to work with.
What about my files?
A week ago I had done a "brute force" backup. Basically I burned all important files to a dvd. I lost a few small changes in some documents, and all of my videos (a good 10 GBs worth, but replaceable). The two most painful things I lost were my browser bookmarks (it never occurred to me to back them up, even though in Firefox it is very easy and painless) and my settings. I spent several days trying to remember all of my system and program settings and to reset them.
All in all it wasn't too bad, but at the time it seemed worse (doesn't it always?).
b)For a while I continued doing weekly brute force backups, but recently I started using SyncBack, it's a free program, but has a few glitches. Like, it claims to have failed a backup, but won't create a log file, and it seems to have succeeded in the backup, at least the files are where they should be...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:52 am 

My laptop is my lifeblood... I'm always upgrading my hard drive from a 100GB to 150GB to 200GB and so the story goes. I also love to be able to dual boot XP and Vista. It takes quite awhile to tweak both OS's with the latest updates and system drivers. So... I get it done and then back up a complete copy for restoration purposes. It has saved my butt many times, especially when I just have to try out all that latest and fanciest software that comes out every other day. Couldn't live without my backups...

I use the Microsoft backup utility that came with Vista Ultimate. Works great but it does have it's limitations.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:40 am 

:D Hello...I just joined this forum! I sort of had a computer meltdown. The law office where I worked had McAfee AV software however it failed to detect a bad bug. The bug was transferred to my computer which had tons of forms, pleadings, etc. and the virus completely destroyed the hard drive. Nope, no backup either. We had to build it all from scratch.

What I do to backup my hard drive/Windows system files is I use Acronis True Image. I back up to an external drive (500 gb) only the system files. I save all the rest of the things I want to CD's or DVD's depending on how much info there is. I have a LOT of graphics and photos that I would not want to lose so I save, save and save!

I am running XP SP2 and quite happy with it. I will not buy/install Vista - just my personal preference. Hubby is running W2k so he is really behind the times. ;)

New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:06 pm 

I backup in various different ways ever since 'losing everything' to a bad partitioning experience some years back. :o
I use Acronis True Image Home 2009 to create full images of my Windows partition. I have a separate D: partition on my hard drive to store my files, which is not the best arrangement, but this is a laptop I am using. Then, I will occasionally back this up to an external hard drive as well as my most important file more regularly to a thumb drive. And, every once in a while, I will burn a DVD of personal data. I also use Windows Live SkyDrive to store copies of certain files offsite.
This way, I feel I'm covered for most situations. 8-)

Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: EXPIRED: Win Titan Backup 2.3-All-in-one Backup Solution
New postPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:27 pm 

Wow! This is great....thanks to the folks here and those at Titan as well! :D

Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]