Recently I started getting BSODs and have now gotten to a point where I no longer have an operating system...
Below is the series of events that got me there. If anyone has any ideas of how to bring my computer back to life, I would be endlessly grateful.
1. Seemingly random BSOD with the following technical details:
*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xFFFFFFFFc0000005, 0xFFFFF88001653768, 0xFFFFF88002F84638, 0xFFFFF88002F83E90)
*** iaStor.sys - Address FFFFF88001653768 base at FFFFF8800160A000, DateStamp 4ed5a567
2. I ran various tests which all said that the machine was working fine and virus free. After BSODs kept coming I reset to factory image following the instructions on the Dell site.
3. That resulted in a "C:\\Windows\System32\NV is currupt" which then somehow sorted itself out through some self-fixing on the computer's part and, if I recall correctly, another factory reset.
4. Still had BSOD issues, still appearing seemingly at random, this time with the following technical details:
*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xFFFFFFFFc0000005, 0xFFFFF880014A4768, 0xFFFFF880031849A8, 0xFFFFF88003184200)
*** iaStor.sys - Address FFFFF880014A4768 base at FFFFF8800145B000, DateStamp 4ed5a567
5. All tests still say everything is ok.
6. I tried various options found on this site, including Bootrec.exe /FixMbr and /FixBoot to no avail.
7. I tried a solution that included adding .old to the iastor.sys driver and then replacing it with a different one, but my computer crashed during it.
8. After the above crash, Windows would not start even after all on-board repair options were attempted.
9. Because I could not reload to factory image, I tried reloading to a saved image I have on a portable hard drive, but the computer crashed during that, BSOD showing the following technical details:
*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xFFFFFFFFc0000005, 0xFFFFF8800456768, 0xFFFFF8800317E9A8, 0xFFFFF8800317E200)
*** iaStor.sys - Address FFFFF8800145678 base at FFFFF8800140D000, DateStamp 4ed5a567
10. Booting from a repair disc is now essentially the only thing I can do because if I do not a black screen simply tells me that I have no operating system. No attempts at loading the saved system image have gotten past about 1/4 done before crashing.
Sorry about epic above, but I figured the more info the better. At this point, all I want to do is just get the computer functional again. I have everything backed up, so I don't care about starting from scratch. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.