It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
Message Author
 Post subject: Windows 7 & Excel Shortcut Keys
New postPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:26 pm 

Hi,

I've noticed that with Windows 7, certain shortcut keys in Excel have stopped working. I'm not sure how many there are in total, but there are three that were particularly useful to me and they don't work in either Excel 2003, 2007 or 2010. The three are:

CTRL-SHIFT-9 which unhides rows (CTRL-9 hides rows and that one works)
CTRL-SHIFT-0 which unhides columns (CTRL-10 hides columns and that one works)
CTRL-SHIFT-Underscore which clears all borders from the selected range

I've searched online and all I can find is lists of shortcut keys that DO work and I can't find any reference to these. Has anyone else run across this?

Thank you.

Karl :)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 2 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Windows 7 & Excel Shortcut Keys
New postPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:19 am 

Win 7 Shortcut Keys

Press HeRe :geek:

Excel Shortcut Key

Press HeRe

I hope it works for u ;)

Contributor
Contributor
Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 121 times
Thanks received: 263 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:46 pm 
For this post the author KarlM144 has received gratitude : UVAIS

Thanks for the suggestion. That's the list I found too and the ones that don't work any more aren't on it. I guess it's another thing the Microsoft took way that was working well.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:33 pm 

Hi, you may want to check out this free e-book named Rev up to Excel 2010: Upgraders Guide to Excel 2010 written by Bill Jelen, host of MrExcel.com. This 250-page long e-book covers everything that you want to know about the latest Microsoft Excel 2010 program.

Chapters 1 through 11 of this e-book introduce you to all the changes in the Excel 2010 interface. While the chapter 12 introduces the new functions available in Excel 2010, chapters 13 through 20 deal with data wrangling and business intelligence.

You will learn about the vastly improved File menu and all other Excel interface goodies. You will also learn other tips and tricks by reading this free e-book. Highly recommended If you are upgrading from an earlier version of Excel, such as Excel 2003.

The e-book is available for download from Microsoft.

Hope that helps. ;)

-Obie

Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Thanks given: 28 times
Thanks received: 60 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:32 am 
For this post the author KarlM144 has received gratitude : Obinna Osobalu

Thanks, Obie, I appreciate your response. :) I have come to the realization that Excel 2007/10 is simply a step backwards. Most everything takes one more click and shortcut keys that used to work don't any more. I'm a VBA spreadsheet programmer and there are even some excellent macro commands that are no longer supported meaning that if a user opens an application and presses a button, the code crashes in 2007/10 when it worked fine in 2003 and before. I shouldn't complain because I get paid to rewrite the code, but it's another example of Microsoft making things more difficult for users and that's a shame because Excel is an amazing product.

New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:18 am 

Whilst i hear what you're saying; you can't expect functionality/features to be the same forever. Macros that worked fine 10 years ago shouldn't be expected to still work flawlessly today, Excel is a drastically different product to what it was 10 years ago probably meaning anything written to play with it is too.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 375 times
Thanks received: 441 times
 Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]