It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Message Author

Post subject: cmd - window doesn't open
New postPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:52 pm 

I am still experiencing this frustrating problem, that my cmd window doesn't open. I upgraded from Vista to Win7 Ultimate. Every time I try to open the basic, standard, cmd "DOS" window, regardless how I do it, it doesn't show up. Every time there are 2 new processes created, cmd.exe and conhost.exe, but no window is available or visible.
I found console2 (console.exe), and that works fine, as a bypass.

I have noticed I am not alone in the world with this problem, but I have seen no solution so far. (I have tried to delete some policy keys in the directory, but it didn'tmake any difference.)
Anybody got any ideas or tips?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: cmd - window doesn't open
New postPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:07 pm 

I think maybe when you performed the upgrade files have become corrupted along the way, You should run a Install repair from DVD.

You maybe want download and install MalwareBytes and run a deep scan before the above!

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Thanks given: 47 times
Thanks received: 132 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:39 pm 

I think your command prompt got corrupted during upgrade. Search in the winsxs folder for an entry similar to this:

C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-commandprompt_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_88d604c11d71789b

there should be a fresh install of the command prompt there. Another solution would be to find another computer with the same Operating System and copy it to yours.

You can also try this:
Click Start>
type cmd>
right-click>Run as administrator
run the command sfc /scannow

Also check that your firewall is not blocking your command

New postPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:19 pm 

Why would the firewall block cmd.exe from opening? Firewalls block network communication... it would only block IP to/from CMD.

Are you able to try a clean install of Windows (not upgrade)? I've found that trying to fix broken OS components is harder than doing a clean install, and usually breaks other stuff in the process.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Thanks given: 9 times
Thanks received: 100 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:36 pm 

It would block the command if a firewall has hips/ids and it is not configured right.

New postPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:00 pm 

Okay fair enough, but I still doubt that's the problem. What's your security setup?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Thanks given: 9 times
Thanks received: 100 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:56 am 

I looked at the directory you proposed, and there was a file exe.cmd.
It behaves in exactly the same manner when doubleclicked, also when run as administrator: one process cmd.exe is started, one process conhost.exe is started. Neither has any window connected.
And in fact, the exe file is identical to the one in \windows\system32.

So it must be some other setting, somewhere, I guess.

What about the firewall hips /ids? what is that?
I have the standard Windows firewall running.
(And for virus MSE)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:24 pm 

Have you tried starting your PC in safe-mode and checking if cmd.exe works there? Or maybe even a different user account?

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 375 times
Thanks received: 441 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:12 pm 

Hi, I was wondering if you installed that console2 program? The console program is a windows console enhancer for command prompt and powershell. You mentioned a file console.exe, I searched for it and it shows as spyware in some sites. Here is a link:

http://www.auditmypc.com/process/console.asp

You could try ending the process in task manager for console.exe following the following steps and then see if cmd.exe works.

-open the Windows Task Manager
-search for "console.exe" process by name.
-Select the "console.exe" process
-click on the "End Process" button to kill it.

Go to this site and download:
http://www.superantispyware.com/portablescanner.html?tag=SAS_HOMEPAGE
and follow the steps described. When finished copying files to usb start computer in safe mode with networking and run a scan. Follow the directions and see if it finds anything. Hope it helps.

New postPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:56 am 

About console.exe: I installed console2, and it is run under the name of console.exe afaik.
It works fine as a replacement for cmd in most cases.

I tried to start cmd as another user (also originally 'converted' from Vista to Win7).
There the window appears normally.
So the cmd.exe file must be OK, I guess.

I did try before to analyze with ProcessMonitor what happens for the two different users when cmd is started, but the amount of information was overwhelming (for me).

To me, it seems there is some setting somewhere for my user that makes the window hide away.

Cmd.exe is started as a separate process, and conhost.exe is started under csrss.exe
There is some information in ProcessViewer, e.g. about handles, but I've no idea what is right or wrong there.

New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next