It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Message Author

Post subject: Re: Set Windows 7 as Wifi Hotspot (HELPLINE)
New postPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:27 pm 

Sure, I can give it a shot but the whole reason I installed the hotfix was because it wasn't working to start with and I was told that's what you should do if you're having that error. The hotfix hasn't made any discernable difference at all, and I doubt it's causing the problem if I had it before it was installed, but I'll give it a shot.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:11 am 

Hi,
I use one encore lan modem adsl2+ for my PC internet and it works well with WAN miniport adapter orf windows 7.
I started hosted network successfully and my Satio smartphone can find this wifi and connects it. But when I want to surf internet, I got "no gateway reply" error and so I couldn't surf in internet.
Would you please let me know how I can remedy gateway error?
Best regards
Mbatiri

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:45 am 

Rick wrote:
Well... to make all the fuss go away, have you thought of going back to a restore point where/when you did not have that HotFix?

KB is Knowledge Base with a number where the Hotfix under that KB is a list of known issues that was fixed.

Again, going back to a Restore Point is usually an easier solution to start over and figure out what's actually causing the issues...

Well, thanks for the suggestion Rick, but I tried this and I still get exactly the same error message:

"The hosted netwrok couldn't be started. The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation."

It'd be nice to know how to find out exactly what "state" the resource is in, and how I can change it to the correct state so that maybe this will start working like everything is telling me that it should, but I have no idea how to get that information.

Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:30 pm 

Perhaps the culprit lies within the Drivers that affecting communications?

In as much as I respect the fact that you want to know the "SOURCE" so you can use it to your knowledge in the future, sometimes when it leads to being OBSESSED for knowledge becomes a dead end, thus leads to beating around the bush.

Moving on.... Have you checked this link below?

http://blog.astrill.com/index.php/tag/virtual-wifi/

This will show a VPN, BUT it has the same message error that you gave me. Please take a look and see if there's a work around.

Cheers

Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 33 times
Thanks received: 137 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:00 am 

Rick wrote:
Perhaps the culprit lies within the Drivers that affecting communications?

In as much as I respect the fact that you want to know the "SOURCE" so you can use it to your knowledge in the future, sometimes when it leads to being OBSESSED for knowledge becomes a dead end, thus leads to beating around the bush.

Moving on.... Have you checked this link below?

http://blog.astrill.com/index.php/tag/virtual-wifi/

This will show a VPN, BUT it has the same message error that you gave me. Please take a look and see if there's a work around.

Cheers

Thanks Rick, I agree about getting bogged down focussing on the wrong things. Having a look at your link, it mentions a number of the things that I listed in my original post. You're right, I get the same error msg. It also tells me that this is caused by an outdated driver, which is where things get really screwed up.

The driver I have is the latest I could find when I first found this problem. It's 9.2.0.113 from february 2011. Not very recent. So I go to automatic updates to see if it can find anything more recent. It automatically updates me to a 9.1.something from 2010. That's not an update either. I can't find any drivers on the Qualcomm Atheros website, and the only drivers that i seem to be able to find are from Czech or French sites. I eventually find
9.2.1.459 from last month on some French site and I try installing that. Everything goes smooth, it works, but I still get the same error: "The hosted network could not be started." etc etc.

The netsh wlan show drivers command that your link suggested, (and that I used earlier on my previous drivers, as mentioned in my original post,) again shows that "Hosted Network Supported: YES"

The compatibility chart that that article links to shows my adapter, (Atheros AR9285) in the list of compatible devices.

So everything is telling me that it SHOULD work. Everything of course except for when I try and start it up. The virtual network IS actually showing up in my list of Network Adapters, so it's being enabled, it just won't connect to the network for some reason.

Edit: Ok, so here's something I just tried. Re setting my wifi connection sharing options to try and share it with the virtual wifi, and I get this error message:

"Ineternet Connection Sharing cannot be enabled. A LAN connection is already configured with the IP address that is required for automatic IP addressing."

My LAN adapter is a Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller. Unfortunately, there's no change if I disable the LAN port. It tells me my wifi conncetion is shared, but I have no option to what I can share it to, and the Virtual Wifi Miniport still isn't connected to it.

Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:27 am 

Ahhhh HA! Ok, I finally managed to find the problem that was causing hostednetwork to not start and fix it. My IPv4 settings for my physical wifi adapter were pointing to a specific IP address that I'm guessing were screwing things up. After changing it to obtain the IP automatically, hostednetwork started fine and is sharing to the virtual wifi wdapter.

Problem now is that when try and connect my desktop to my new virtual hotspot, it's not identifying it properly. It will connect to the hotspot, but not the the internet. The hotspot is working properly and my phone can connect to it and get an internet signal, but my desktop is telling me that it doesn't have a valid IP configuration. Even though it's SSID shows up, it tells me I'm connected to an "Unidentified Network" and it has no internet access. I seem to remember having a similar problem to this before, and it had something to do with setting the network to home instead of public, but I can't find anywhere that will let me change that configuration right now either.

edit: Ok so it appears that my virtual wifi is broadcasting in 802.11n and the wireless card in my desktop is only rated for 802.11b/g. Not sure if this is the problem as I can connect to the virtual wifi itself fine, (I know this because I can access shared files over the homegroup,) it just won't connect to the internet from there. Anyway, is there a way I can change the virtual wifi to transmit in 802.11g instead of 802.11n?

Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:35 am 

i have a few problems still which are as follows :-

1. I have to start the wifi miniport manually using the start hostednetwork command in cmd... everytime i turn on the system, it is not connected automatically whenever my system is restarted or turned on. Please let me know what do I do to let it be connected at all times.

2. When I connect another device with this miniport...it works perfectly for sometime and then it remains connected to the miniport however somehow it loses the internet connection. I am not able to figure out the reason behind this. Please help me out if u know the reason for the same.

Thanks

New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:38 am 

hello..
its not working..
when i type 'netsh wlan start hostednetwork', it sayd 'the hosted network couldnt be started. the group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation'

pls help.. thx..

New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:08 am 

Hi,

Struck in 'Obtaining IP address from MyNet' and after some time disconnects... start scanning again... and the keeps on process repeating.

Any suggestions?

New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: network sharing through windows 7 home basic
New postPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:28 am 

hey i have windows 7 home basic in my lenovo z570 laptop n m trying to create a ad hoc network sharing with my laptop n 3g data card ..i am able to create a an ad hoc private network n share it with my Itouch bt unable to browse net on my Itouch it says unable to connect .bt shows full network .. plz help me .. does windows 7 home basic doesn't allow 2 share internet ??

New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Profile E-mail  

Page 3 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next