It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
Message Author

Post subject: Re-Installing a Free program
New postPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:16 pm 

Programs have ben given away via mintywhite with reg and e-mail codes as a promotional in the past however, if you have to re-fromat your HDD or install a newer HDD...the codes and e-mail provided at the time no longer work, hence your free program is no longer free!

Someone from the mintywhite admin staff stated you have to save the "config.sys file" and then paste it back in after re-installing the program to enable keeping it free?

If anyone can provide a step by step instruction I would reatly appreciate it before I install my new HDD.

My OS: Win-7 64bit Ultimate

Thanks,

Ron

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 1 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Re-Installing a Free program
New postPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:28 pm 

Hi Ron.
Some specifics would be handy here.
Which programs are you trying to re-install?
Did you backup each required config.sys before formatting the drive?
Have you actually attempted to re-install only to be told your code is invalid?

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 375 times
Thanks received: 441 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 pm 

One is the "Magix extreme photo and graphics designer 5 (starter)"
The other is on a diffeent PC

Have not installed the new drive I just got. Wanted to ask before I find out it will not take the reg and e-mail info.

So how do you back up the config.sys file? More specifically...how do I know I have the correct file backed? I'm guessing there's a line within the config.sys with the reg and e-mail info?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 1 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:04 pm 

TBH, i've never heard of backing-up config.sys to retain product key information.
In your OP you made it sound like its the case; where your details are no longer valid.
I see no reason why the code wouldn't work so long as you're installing the exact version the key was issued to.
(eg.Magix extreme photo and graphics designer 5 not Magix extreme photo and graphics designer 5.1 )

The config.sys could be in several places and would be obvious to which program it belonged to:
1. The Program Files folder
2. AppData folder
3. Program Data folder
The details could also be stored in the registry.

If it's a new drive you're intending on installing in the system, install it and the program and see if it works, just don't format the old drive before you do.

Supposing config.sys is readable by a text editor (by the .sys extension i doubt it will be), yes it may contain the info you're looking for. To back it up, just copy it to a safe place ready to restore to the same location after the new installation.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:18 pm 
For this post the author Rick has received gratitude : Stu

Please use Belarc Advisor, it's better, Stu's method will not work.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

This is FREE and will get all your codes and keys to save for future reinstallation. However, you should have saved all your keys and codes in a simple text document.

No need to go in the registry, but yes they are all stored there; however, Belarc is awesome. I've used it on clients PCs...

I hope I was not insulting you Stu, just voicing the the easy and fast efficient way to get the keys/codes...

Cheers

Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 33 times
Thanks received: 137 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:18 pm 

No offence taken at all Rick! Backing up the config.sys wasn't my method, was just trying to piggy-back off a previous suggestion by a mystery admin.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:01 am 
For this post the author Rick has received gratitude : Stu

No problem Stu... The config.sys is an extremely complex file to use... Many of them are sent to the registry within the config.sys file. Going in the Install directory is another good way to be a little Geeky, but one much understand the GUID file string and convert to readable codes for the program. Most files can have the actual code or keys showing in it's sub-directory (right pane window).

Belarc is a sweet way to pull everything up... quick, and simple... :-)

Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 33 times
Thanks received: 137 times
 Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]