It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
Message Author

Post subject: Partition disappearing act
New postPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:31 pm 

I searched but did my problem, so if it has been discussed before please excuse my post & please refer me to the correct post.

In the last two weeks while in Windows 7 the OS quickly shutdown, and when I restarted I had problems.
Using Windows Repair failed, and after searching the net I found a post that had a few suggestions as how to fix it.
Everything from deleting the boot files, and restoring them from programs in the Windows OS.

Finally at the end of an 8 page thread I saw a post where someone mentioned his Partition had somehow lost the active designation.

Using Partition Manager in Windows it fixed the problem for about 10 hours after which the problem happened one more time.

I than used a 3rd Partition Manager that was able to run from a boot CD/DVD. So far (with every appendage crossed as I type this, :shh: ) the system is up as I backup all my data to a USb Drive, and my on-line backup service, before i reinstall Windows 7.

Anyone heard of this happening in the past?

Expiring Computers want to know!

Thanks,

Bobb

Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Thanks given: 32 times
Thanks received: 1 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Partition disappearing act
New postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:07 am 

Some process/program is manipulating the MBR (master boot record) - looks like virus.
Check for viruses !

To repair a non-booting Win7 it takes some times up to three consecutive StartUp Repairs from CD/USB/DVD with rebooting after each run.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 1 times
 Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]