It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Message Author
 Post subject: Microsoft's Awesome Security
New postPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:13 pm 
For this post the author Ang087 has received thanks - 3: Bobbsw, shushu, Stu

First of all, I've never experienced having malware or trojan viruses on my laptop. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones and I owe that to Microsoft. I went to a website today that I had never visited before. It was similar to Hulu and I thought the site was safe. Wrong! Suddenly, a window popped up with a message that I had all types of viruses on my computer. The next thing it wanted to do was scan my laptop. It offered "continue" or "cancel". I wasn't sure what to do at first, so I didn't hit either of the buttons. I hit the red x instead and tried to close it. When I tried to close it, I was redirected to a page that started some type of scan. I was trying to exit off that page, and luckily, the SmartScreen filter in IE8 immediately blocked the page from scanning any further. It also let me know that SmartScreen had blocked it and was going to close IE8 to prevent the page from scanning my laptop.

I immediately ran a complete scan with Microsoft Security Essentials. There was no maleware, trojans or viruses detected. I also downloaded the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal tool. There was no malware of any type on my laptop. The removal tool also included a page with a long list of all the malware it scanned for. It just assured me of what I already knew ... Microsoft's security features and antivirus software are the best. It's even better because of the fact that Microsoft Security Essentials is free.

I would also like to give a warning to everyone while I'm at it. The other day I received an e-mail from Facebook that went to my junk mail. The subject title of the e-mail was "Facebook Password Reset Confirmation". I knew something wasn't right because of the fact that I don't have a Facebook account. The first thing I thought was that maybe someone used my e-mail address and set up a Facebook acct. for some reason or another. Then I realized it was more than likely a scam. I never opened the e-mail. I just deleted it out of my junk mail.

I went to the Facebook site and contacted them, but they never got back with me. I decided to go to Snopes.com. I found out that the Facebook e-mail was fake. It also contained a virus. If I would have opened the e-mail, my laptop would have been taken over by a virus that was in the form of malware (a trojan). I'm including a link to the article from Snopes.com. My suggestion would be to delete the e-mail ASAP if anyone receives it.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/facebook.asp

Contributor
Contributor
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member

Thanks given: 43 times
Thanks received: 33 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Microsoft's Awesome Security
New postPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:48 am 
For this post the author randomchaos has received gratitude : Ang087

@ Ang087 - Quote:- "It offered "continue" or "cancel". I wasn't sure what to do at first, so I didn't hit either of the buttons."

- Sometimes, just by hitting the "continue" OR EVEN THE "cancel" option with these malware programs can actually activate the virus.

[just thought I'd mention that for other readers of your above post!] :)

The unsuspecting and innocently named "Personal Antivirus" is a case in point! <<< Do NOT install this on your PC folks!! :geek:

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Thanks given: 5 times
Thanks received: 97 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:05 am 
For this post the author Stu has received gratitude : Ang087

The best way to get rid of these windows is to open the command prompt and kill the process from there.

If you use Chrome for example, you would type this.

taskkill /f /im chrome.exe /t

IE would be,

taskkill /f /im iexplore.exe /t

and Firefox would be;

taskkill /f /im firefox.exe /t

(where /f is force. /im is the imagename and /t kills all child processes started by /im)

If you're not sure of the imagename, open the task manager, under the processes tab find the coresponding name.
You could also type tasklist in the command prompt but task manager is easier to navigate.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 375 times
Thanks received: 441 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:39 am 
For this post the author Rick has received gratitude : Ang087

For one thing....never trust Facebook.....

Secondly and lastly, I am with RSVR85 all the way....

Cheers

Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 33 times
Thanks received: 137 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:24 am 

Thanks to all of you for the great advice. I'm so glad I posted about what happened now. I'm also glad that I didn't hit the "continue" or "cancel" buttons!

rsvr85, thanks for sharing the command prompts. I'll know what to do now if it ever happens again. I'm just thankful that the SmartScreen filter in IE 8 stopped the process and didn't let it continue.

Contributor
Contributor
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:30 am 

Whenever in DOUBT, don't do anything.....some people take the changes to click either one by using the "flip-a-coin" method. Not to bright....

FACEBOOK is filled with malware these days that hackers are trying to evoke throughout the internet. Just ca cautious if you continue to use it.

Cheers

Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 33 times
Thanks received: 137 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:52 am 
For this post the author Stu has received gratitude : Ang087

Angie doesn't use Facebook, that's why she knew it was defo a spam email. Though i do concur that Facebook is a nightmare. My girlfriend is on it all the time. It's just a matter of time before someone attempts to steal her identity. FYI facbook.com is BLOCKED from ever connecting to my machine. She doesn't like that.......tough!!

Whoa!! 99 Thanks, just one more to the magic 100......yippee!! :lol:

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:02 am 

LOL! Thanks, rsvr85! Yeah, I just never wanted a Facebook account. One reason is because I didn't have time for it. I have a website that I love working on when I have time. I'd rather work on it instead of having Facebook. I think my website is safer, too! :lol:

Contributor
Contributor
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:07 am 

I did have one, then i didn't, then i did, and then i deleted it....FOR GOOD!!

Where's your website Angie?

(First to 100 Thanks... woop! woop!, who's gonna be second?)

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:18 am 

I've had it for a couple of years now. It's called Angie's Tools, Help & Fun Page. Believe it or not, I have the site with WebTV. I decided to keep WebTV Plus when I got my laptop because that was the only way I could work on the site. WebTV Plus also enables me to make vidcaps (from VHS tapes). It's old technology, but I love the fact that it's a challenge ... especially with working on the website. That's also why I learned HTML.

Angie's Tools, Help & Fun Page

I also have some catching up to do. One of my friends sent me several links to recipe sites that I need to add on my Useful Sites page! She'll probably kill me if I don't add them soon. :lol:

oops! I thought I'd better edit this. I've actually had the site over 4 years now because my laptop was 4 years old this month. Wow! Does time fly by or what! :lol:

Contributor
Contributor
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member

Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next