It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

What's your Preference?
Windows Defragmenter  57%  57%  [ 4 ]
Auslogics Disk Defrag  14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Defraggler  29%  29%  [ 2 ]
MyDefrag  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Smart Defrag  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Message Author
 Post subject: A Few Good Defragmenter's For Windows  Topic is solved
New postPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:07 pm 

Here are a Few Free Disk Defragmenter's for Windows, I selected these as I have tested all 5 of them and personally i think these are amongst the top 10 of all Defragmenter's out there. I dont believe in Purchasing the Alternatives when these Free Defragmenter's do the job just as well, and lets face it, it's not like you will use any of these every week, NOT RECOMMENED! anyway take a look at these i chose to post here for you to look at and may download;

Windows Defragmenter We all know how good the Windows Disk Defragmenter is and is more than ideal for the average user!

Auslogics Disk Defrag

Auslogics Disk Defrag is a compact and fast defragmenter that supports both FAT 16/32, and NTFS file systems. It is supplied with an advanced optimization engine that will help you to improve system performance and prevent errors caused by file fragmentation.

Defraggler

Use Defraggler to defrag your entire hard drive, or individual files - unique in the industry. This compact and portable Windows application supports NTFS and FAT32 file systems.

MyDefrag

MyDefrag is extremely solid because it is based on the standard defragmentation API by Microsoft, a system library that is included in Windows 2000, 2003, XP, Vista, 2008, and Win7. Most defragmenters are based on this API, including the free defragmenter that comes with Windows and many commercial defragmenters. Basically all MyDefrag does is send "move this file to that location" commands to the API. The API is part of the operating system and can safely move almost any file on the disk, without risk and while the computer is in full use.

Smart Defrag

What’s the primary cause of slow/unstable PC performance? It’s disk fragmentation. Smart Defrag helps defragment your hard drives more efficiently than any other product on the market –– free or not. This powerful, award-winning free defragmenter is 100% safe and clean with no adware, spyware, or viruses.

How Often Should You Run The Defragmenter?

This depends on how you use your computer. The following is a rough guide to defragmentation periods.

Run disk defragmenter only if you notice a performance drop, or once every three months, if you are a user who:

* Is online only for a few hours a week.
* Have a stable set of programs, and don’t add or remove them often.
* Doesn't have a large file library which is modified often.

Run disk defragmenter once every two months if you are a user who;

* Is online for around an hour a day.
* Occasionally adds or removes programs (meaning once every month or two).
* Creates, modifies and deletes files with some programs, but not on a large scale.
* Occasionally uses resource-intensive applications like video editors, desktop publishing software, etc.

Run disk defragmenter once a month if you are a user who;

* Is online for several hours a day.
* Adds and removes programs frequently.
* Constantly works with files - creates new files, modifies existing ones, and deletes unneeded ones.
* Uses resource-intensive applications like video editing, etc.

You would generally only run a disk defragmenter more often if your computer is a database or web server.

Why do some people say that disk defragmentation is harmful?

The amount of work your hard drive has to do in the defragmentation process is significant and it can shorten the life of your hard drive if you do it more often than necessary.

Also, it is possible for files to become corrupted when they are moved around too often as a result of excessive defragmentation. HOWEVER! Do note the use of the words 'excessive' and 'more often than necessary' here. You also need to consider the fact that if your system is very fragmented, your hard disk will be doing more work than it
needs to anyway, with the read arm moving back and forth to collect pieces of information stored here, there and everywhere.

Please note the above is only a rough guide, but a sure one, So dont go mad with Defragmenter's thinking you should use them on a weekly/monthly basis! Be sensible.

If you dont know to much about Defragmenting your hard drive then it is advised you read the above and taken it in, Below I have posted the link to all information above and more for you to read through.

Please also note the Built In Windows Defragmenter is MORE than capable and is very good at what it does.

Enjoy the software!

The main Source Of Information Here!

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Thanks given: 47 times
Thanks received: 132 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: A Few Good Defragmenter's For Windows
New postPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:55 pm 

Some great apps here, thank for bundling them up Bugsy :D

How would one go about defragging a Solid State Drive (SSD). Do they even need to?

What about defragging 'possibly more than you should'. Would it be possible to see a performance gain from this and if so, is it worth the overhead?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 375 times
Thanks received: 441 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:16 am 

Windows Defragmenter :mrgreen: because i use only this :lol: :lol:

Contributor
Contributor
Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 121 times
Thanks received: 263 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:37 am 

rsvr85 wrote:
Some great apps here, thank for bundling them up Bugsy :D

How would one go about defragging a Solid State Drive (SSD). Do they even need to?

What about defragging 'possibly more than you should'. Would it be possible to see a performance gain from this and if so, is it worth the overhead?

A solid state drive does not have Stuff to move to the physical location unlike you normal drive but if you wanted to defragment the drive there is no harm in doing so on a one off but whats the point?

but i hear people saying it is not recommened to defrag a solid state drive as it would eventually effect its performance, And windows 7 does not defrag this drives automatically by default anyway, personally i wouldn't bother defraging the solid state drive as it poses no real issue.

on whole for defragging your normal hard drive YES you would notice better performance if the defragmentation was slowing or causing other issue's with performance.

On windows 7 the average user would not need to defrag every few months but every 6 months possibly as windows is designed to tackle thinks like this on a whole as with the registry, it ignores old registries which therefore does not slow your system down in this case.

Good Question!!

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:39 am 

UVAIS wrote:
Windows Defragmenter :mrgreen: because i use only this :lol: :lol:

Good choice Uvais, this is what i now use and only the windows defrag, but very rarely need to use it.

as i always re install every 12 to 18 months for the amount of stuff and things i do on my main system. :D

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:05 am 

In MHO, I believe that there is no conceivable reason to defrag your SSD at all, because SSD works like RAM, which I know will not adversely affected by defragmenting. We all should know that a "Flash-based SSDs" are all also unlikely to be develop fragments, but there is a catch here with SSD, as many of you may know this already.

The lifetime of flash memory is typically limited by the total number of writes the memory can accept, and because defragging actually does a rewrite in the process of making data contiguous, a defragmenting procedure will shorten the life of the flash memory by lessening the number of writes that the chip can accept.

To refer an in-depth, please read more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory

So, it's rarely that it is needed to defrag your SSD, it works similar to that of RAM.

Just my two cents
Rick

Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 33 times
Thanks received: 137 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:39 pm 

i would rather use the windows one, but not a bad list

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Established Member
Established Member

Thanks given: 11 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:20 pm 

I voted Defraggler because I'm using that at the moment. However, Auslogics Disk Defrag I have found to be a better product.

There is also Puran Defrag. ;)

Edit: I can't change my vote....

New postPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:35 am 

I recommend at getting those great FREEWARE defragmenter at Filehippo.com since they have left ADs on them.

Just my two cents

Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 33 times
Thanks received: 137 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:23 am 

Auslogics and Smart Defrag are quite useful [and quick!] defragmenters but Defraggler seems to take a long while to complete a defrag. I have used all 3 in the past when I was using Vista, because the native Vista defragger was absolutely rubbish! But since I've been using W7 I see no need whatsoever for a 3rd party defragger because the native W7 defragger is more than good enough to warrant using another defragger. That's my opinion anyways and am stickin' to it! :D

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Thanks given: 5 times
Thanks received: 97 times
 Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next