It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Message Author

Post subject: Google+ vs. Facebook
New postPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:23 pm 

So I haven't been able to play around with it yet, but Google+ was announced yesterday. A few big tech blogs (Engadget, Lifehacker) have gotten their hands on it and posted their initial thoughts.

What do you think? Does this make Facebook irrelevant? Will you sign up for Google+? If so, will you drop Facebook?

My two cents are that I've been sick of Facebook for awhile - it was revolutionary back in 2006 when I first opened a Facebook account, but it hasn't changed much since then. I think a lot of the "applications" are poorly written, spam, or just stupid, and the privacy settings are a nightmare. Staying true to my new Google life (I use SOOOO many Google products now) I will probably go with Google+ and ban Facebook to the forgotten world of other stuff I signed up for and used online until it became obsolete (AOL, anyone?)

Links:
Google+ Hands-On (Engadget)
Google+ Initial Announcement & Video (Engadget)
Google+ Preview (Lifehacker)

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Thanks given: 9 times
Thanks received: 100 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Google+ vs. Facebook
New postPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:57 am 

I will be trying it out when I get the invite. I'm not leaving Facebook anytime soon. The big argument here will be - how are people going to leave a social network they have been familiar with for so long and move over to something completely different. In terms of privacy settings on Facebook, they're NOT a nightmare at all. As a matter of fact, they're completely straightforward.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 0 times

New postPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:16 am 

I completely understand - it is difficult to step out of a comfort zone to something completely new. I guess I'm one of those people who doesn't have a problem with it too much (I call us beta testers haha).

Let me clarify my stance on Facebook's privacy - it's not that they're so complicated, but that they are ever-changing. I think that stresses me out. I don't want to have to change all my settings, have something change, and then check them all again to make sure I'm not over-sharing with people I don't want to be.

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Thanks given: 9 times
Thanks received: 100 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:08 pm 

What do we think to this?
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TheNextW ... tBjPmdWqI/
Come to think of it....anyone have a spare invite?

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 375 times
Thanks received: 441 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:05 pm 

Mike wrote:
So I haven't been able to play around with it yet, but Google+ was announced yesterday. A few big tech blogs (Engadget, Lifehacker) have gotten their hands on it and posted their initial thoughts.

What do you think? Does this make Facebook irrelevant? Will you sign up for Google+? If so, will you drop Facebook?

My two cents are that I've been sick of Facebook for awhile - it was revolutionary back in 2006 when I first opened a Facebook account, but it hasn't changed much since then. I think a lot of the "applications" are poorly written, spam, or just stupid, and the privacy settings are a nightmare. Staying true to my new Google life (I use SOOOO many Google products now) I will probably go with Google+ and ban Facebook to the forgotten world of other stuff I signed up for and used online until it became obsolete (AOL, anyone?)

When i first read your "make Facebook irrelevant" comment, i though to myself - no way, not irrelevant.
After having used G+ for the best part of half a day (thanks for making that happen Mike) i can honestly now say yes - probably Twitter too. This is down to one G+ feature; Circles.
I tried FB (again) only a couple of weeks ago. All of my family are on it (even my mother :P ) and it seemed like the easiest way to communicate and keep in touch with all of them (we're all over the country). Alas that account lasted for about 2 days, FB is just too convoluted. The privacy options in G+ for example are far more intuitive, it takes no real input from the EU to share what you want with whom you want, try and do the same on FB!

I think G+'s main problem however, is that it'a too late to the party. I can't image people wanting to up-sticks and migrate. What real benefit is there in doing so? I'm all for it and will 'push' it onto whoever i can! But 90% of people aren't as bothered/anti-FB as me....time will tell - but i really hope it takes off.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:16 pm 

LOL just joined G+
here is my page's url

https://plus.google.com/105972320906973887141/about

Contributor
Contributor
Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 121 times
Thanks received: 263 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:39 am 
For this post the author jumper918 has received gratitude : Stu

Stu wrote:

Did you end up getting an invite? If you haven't let me know I got all of them still.

Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member

Thanks given: 38 times
Thanks received: 19 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:01 pm 

jumper918 wrote:
Stu wrote:

Did you end up getting an invite? If you haven't let me know I got all of them still.

Yes, yes I did. Thanks for asking! ;)

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Wait is over Now!!
New postPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:31 pm 
For this post the author UVAIS has received thanks - 2: skyzyk, Stu

hello friends now you can join Google + Without any invitation

Enjoy G+

Contributor
Contributor
Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 121 times
Thanks received: 263 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:25 am 

As for me Facebook is more popular than Google+

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Established Member
Established Member

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 1 times
 Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next