It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
Message Author

Post subject: Do you run custom router firmware?
New postPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:46 pm 

I use dd-wrt as I used to use my router as a repeater and needed to add the functionality. However, I find it really useful now because the only time I have to reboot my router is if I have to unplug it. I rearranged my office 10 days ago (hence the uptime.) The last time I had to reboot it before that was in October when I moved into this house.

What about you, do you run custom router firmware?

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 424 times
Thanks received: 213 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Do you run custom router firmware?
New postPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:44 am 

I don't as of yet, but I have heard really good things about DD-WRT and was thinking about flashing my router. Would you recommend it? Has your Wi-Fi improved since the flash? I've been too busy the last week or so to pull my router out from under the desk and look at the model number and find the firmware revision *sigh*...

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Thanks given: 9 times
Thanks received: 100 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:58 pm 

My WRT54GS, is running DD-WRT been running it for about two years. Also more options then the default Linksys firmware.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Thanks given: 7 times
Thanks received: 2 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:46 pm 

Nope.

At home we have a 2Wire one.

I also got a spare Linksys router. Is there a guide to installing custom firmware on routers?

New postPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:54 pm 

I can't say for sure whether signal is better etc. but it's stable as a mammoth... sitting down... in glue... which has dried...

Setup guide:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/documentation

My number one tip:

When it asks you to power off and power on your router... wait 10 minutes each time. There were a number of occasions where I flashed the firmware and it still had Linksys original/DD-WRT and I wasn't patient enough to let the settings take place (it's not instant.)

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:17 am 

What nare the benefits of using the custom firmware? Is it just the WIFI signal strength improved?

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 375 times
Thanks received: 441 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:22 am 

I put it on my router so I could use it as a repeater but I soon noticed that it never needed restarting, so I made it my main AP.

I'd say increased stability is a big plus. Also, if you need a special use for it i.e. to make it a repeater (i.e. signal booster for a large house) and have it rebroadcast from your main router or if you need it to be a dedicated switch (and not AP) etc. then it's useful.

EDIT: This reinforces a few reasons: http://lifehacker.com/178132/hack-attac ... 600-router

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]