I have my Sony Vaio VGN-Z790 working perfectly with Win7 x64 for over a year now (including the Function keys !!).
Few days ago I've upgraded my Skype from 4.2 to the new 5.0 and immediatly the built-in webcam ('Motion eye') stopped working. In 'Device List' I have now an unknown USB device (no more 'Imaging' entry).
In the sony drivers download site there is no driver (only the ArcSoft webcam SW) so I had to look around. Here are all my failed
trials, I would appreciate any idea but reinstall the OS:
1. Uninstalling Skype 5.0
2. Reinstalling skype 4.2
3. Going back to an earlier restore point (I couldn't believe that this one failed...)
4. Letting the 'Device list' find the driver by itself online or localy.
5. Installing this driver: "Camera Driver (Ricoh) 6..209G - 6.1005.209.0_logo" from here
- apperantly the sony's 'Motion Eye' webcam is actually a Richo webcam. It installed without errors but didn't change a thing.
6. Trying to install the driver from here
- gave me a weird error about not compatiable OS as mine is x64 (the inf file of this driver has x64 entries...)
7. Connecting an old (too old to use in order to restore but one that had the webcam working) system image as external hard disk and letting the 'Driver Update' in the 'Device list' search for the correct driver in teh image's "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository"
Thanks in advanced!