It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
Message Author

Post subject: Any ideas for a new desktop?  Topic is solved
New postPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:33 pm 

Well I'm buying a new computer, and I'm probably going to build it, so what kind of parts do I need?
I know some of them but could anybody be so kind and list them? :roll:
And well I hardly play any games, but I think that rendering needs quite much power, the budget is about 950-1150€ (1300-1600 USD).

Damn those computers are expensive in Finland, does anybody have even a thought that would it be cheaper to order somewhere else? :D

Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Thanks given: 15 times
Thanks received: 74 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Any ideas for a new desktop?
New postPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:07 pm 

I've heard buying systems in Switzerland can save quite a bit of money. As per the specs you'd need, I'd say something in the i5 area, (just 'cause I perfer Intel) 4gb ram (pretty much any company will do; Hynix and Kingston are the most popular here), 500gb hd would probably be plenty (Maxtor is nice), and mainboards, well, Asus makes nice stuff. Cooling and cases I'd say CoolerMaster.

Hope this helps :)

Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member

Thanks given: 1 times
Thanks received: 12 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:51 pm 

I don't know about buying PCs in Europe, but I definitely know about components and building PCs.

For starters, you'll need a case, a power supply, a motherboard, a CPU, RAM, at least one hard drive, a monitor, a keyboard and mouse. Usually you'll need a DVD drive as well.

On top of the recommendations that Shane has given, I have and highly rate components from the following manufacturers:

• For motherboards, Gigabyte makes great boards with good features.
  • I also like RAM from OCZ and G.Skill
  • For traditional HDDs (Hard Disk Drives), I prefer Western Digital. For SSDs (Solid State Disks), Kingston, Intel, OCZ, G.Skill, and a couple others make really nice drives.
  • I have an Antec 300 Case. I love it.
  • I'm an Intel CPU man as well. If you buy one of the newer i5 or i3 processors you can have the graphics rendered on the chip - you won't need a Graphics Card (GPU).
  • I also have an Antec power supply. Never had a problem with it.

Hope you find what you're looking for! If you need any help when picking out components or whatnot give me a shout. It's pretty much all I'm good for :)

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Thanks given: 9 times
Thanks received: 100 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:40 pm 

Just a little side note to my previous comment and to Mike's, typically it's better to go with dedicated graphics (a discrete graphics card) rather than integrated; and I include Intel's i series as being integrated because they are still built onto the die, and create heat alongside the cpu.

In order to maintain a longer lasting system it's always best to keep the heat down, especially if you're looking for a bit extra performance (the gpu on the cpu die can then be dedicated to cpu-intensive tasks.)

It also snags a bit more life out of the system's fans, as long as you go for an entry-level graphics card. (Something along the lines of a Geforce 210 - 220, or if you're into AMD, a Radeon HD 4000 or so. I'm not very good with AMD's little numbering system.)

Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member

Thanks given: 1 times
Thanks received: 12 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:54 am 

Hey all,
Awhile back, I posted that my MBP keyboard is done, and I am not paying for a repair.

I have decided to use it as a OSX desktop and I am going out to buy a cheaper notebook pc.

I love the design of the MBP with the backlit keyboard and trackpad.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a close competitor of the MBP?

You don't need to provide links, I will google them myself. Just looking for tips!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:25 am 

If you could wait just some more time, the new Ivy Bridge processor line from Intel is slated to come out in a couple of weeks to months.

Though I have no inside information to what they are going to be exactly, you have to base your judgment over what had happened to Sandy Bridge with it proving to be an incremental upgrade to most people.

And sure enough, Ivy would come out with something even further.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:14 pm 

Thanks, but this post is over year old now and I don't need a new computer at the time :D
Probably should have marked as resolved :D

Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Thanks given: 15 times
Thanks received: 74 times
 Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]