It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
Message Author

Post subject: Gaming System
New postPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:45 pm 

Hey,

I was wondering from Mintywhite members can share ideas on a Gaming System that can play the latest games.

Budge $1100.00 US

No monitor needed because it will be using a 42" 1080p (1920 x 1080 res) screen with HDMI.

I would like to hear what others has to share on a good system on the budget listed above. There are no rights and wrongs here... show options 1, 2, etc... and links. I am thinking of putting together a gaming system. I know many good sites, but it's been a while since I last built my system.

HDD using the latest SATA2/3 up to 1TB, or maybe a 500GB would be plenty, since there is a 1TB External that can be used for storage use, Motherboard should have an upgradable features like MAX RAM output 16GB using the latest RAM technology PC12000 @ 2000MHz or better... Sound card, 7.1 Surround sound card, TV Tuner, and a Blu-Ray Burner.

A good case that I know of is, ANTEC... they are pretty good... as well as a minimum 800W power supply, and I do not want any LED Lights, they are useless to me... I want it to play some hard core games, and this gaming system is for excessive and everyday use.

FYI: Intel i7 with IVY Bridge is my game, not AMDs... yuck.. LOL

Thanks everyone

~Rick

Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 33 times
Thanks received: 137 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
New postPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:51 pm 

Sounds like you know pretty much what you want. Go to newegg.com and put together components matching your description and let us know what you come up with. We can help you from there. New egg is great and helps you identify compatible parts. If you get stuck, I can point you to some good MBs for your base.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 424 times
Thanks received: 213 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Gaming System
New postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:50 pm 

Hi Rich,

Here's what I gathered since it's been a while since I build my last system:

Case: Corsair Carbide 300R Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ front USB 3.0
Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz 10MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011 (All Venom OC Certified)
Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking
Cooling Fan: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
Coolant for Cyberpower Xtreme Hydro Water Cooling Kits: Standard Coolant
Motherboard: (4-Way SLI Support) GIGABYTE X79-UP4 Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ 3D UEFI Bios, Ultra Durable 5, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 4 Gen3 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1 & 1 PCI
Memory: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
Power Supply Upgrade: 430 Watts - Corsair CX430 V2 80 Plus Certified Power Supply
Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
Keyboard: AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge
Internal USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

Total cost is: $1019, but I am curious on the Power Supply. I remember having a nVidia GeForce GT 480 needed 750w minimum?

Emmm...

What's your take?

Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 33 times
Thanks received: 137 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:22 pm 

Don't forgot to add a SSD :)

Contributor
Contributor
Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 121 times
Thanks received: 263 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:51 am 
For this post the author jumper918 has received gratitude : Rich

Wow thats some serious hardware.

Few things though, first off the 6670 is seriously underpowered for some of the newer games (bf3 and then so all Frostbite 2 games eg Warfighter, the new C&C, other games too eg Arma 2 and thus DayZ). Not sure of the ATI equivalent (Nvidia all the way :D) but I've been looking at upgrading too (9800gt is lucky to hit 20fps at any decent resolution, don't even talk about a grenade going off). Best bang for buck would be a 560ti and should be ok for a while but if I were you I'd cut back on some of the rest and go for a 660+.

This is more of a personal choice but for me I got a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate and Razer Mamba and never looked back. The keyboard is amazing (its hard using a non-mechanical keyboard now) and its nice having the ability to go from wireless to wired for charging in the mouse. Also the keyboard has has a few accidents (water only) and was fine after drying out for a day or two. They're worth a bit more though than the ones you were looking at.

Not sure on this, this is just my personal preference. I recently upgraded to a full tower case from a mid and except when you need to move it it is worth it. The extra space is great and seems to keep everything cooler. The Thermaltake Chaser Mk1 is awesome (my case) best part being you can turn of the lighting (and dust filters are great if your in an older house) - thing is it does look a bit more flash and well a tad, gaudy. Not too much more from your pick (here in AUS).

The PSU sounds ok for that gpu (AMD says 400watt min 500watt recommended for the 6670 anything higher gets higher) but if you are going to be running anything more in the future (plus that water cooling cooler) I personally would go for something with a bit more bang (I'm no expert on PSU's but that's my guess). Yeah the 480 would need more as it was a higher tier GPU I think (if the newer gen's use the same number system [550 lowest 580+ higher]).

Yeah sorry for the block of text, most of it is just my personal preferences but well, yeah.

Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member

Thanks given: 38 times
Thanks received: 19 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:23 pm 

All looks good. Haven't taken the time to check compatibility but I'm sure you have!

I recommend a 600W PSU--especially if you're running multiple peripherals and extra, unlisted drives you already own. Let us know how it turns out!

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 424 times
Thanks received: 213 times
 Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]