It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
Message Author

Post subject: Suggestions for a new computer
New postPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:39 am 

I am looking for a new computer and I need some help. I am a student and I would like a computer that can surf the internet fast, open applications such as word quickly, and play minecraft on max settings at 60 fps. I will be adding an ssd aftermarket and i wold like the computer to have 8gb of ram and a core i5 or i7 processor. I do not know if I need a quad core processor. I would also like to keep the computer reasonably priced (about 1000 not counting the ssd). I also do not know if i need a 1920x1080 or if a 1366x768 will suffice. Thank you for your help.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Suggestions for a new computer
New postPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:36 am 

Hi and welcome to the forums.

First off depends on whether you intend to build the PC yourself or buy one premade. I'm in Australia so I'm not going to be the best help but I might be able to give you a few pointers.

Now Minecraft maxed out and @ 60fps, are you running standard MC or a modded one (eg Tekkit)? Do you use any of the performance enhancers (like Optifine)? Whats the max server size you tend to go on? Are you planning to host your own server (if you are planning to host and play on the same machine you will need more RAM)?

When you say add on a SSD later I'm assuming you will want the PC to have other harddrives built in. How much storage will you need?

Personally I'm running a first gen quad core i5 and it has handled everything I've thrown at it no problems. At times I've run a mc tekkit server with upwards of 20 people in it and played on the same computer and its been at about 80% load. If mc and other basic stuff is all you plan to do with it I'd stick with an i5 personally.

By resolution I'm assuming you mean screen size. Personally for Minecraft I actually dislike running it fullscreen on my 24" 1920x1080 monitor but for other things having the bigger size is great (like for running to windows side by side).

Other info that would be helpful is do you have any preference of brands for your graphics card (Nvidia vs ATI)? Will you need a keyboard and mouse in that $1000? Also will you need a copy of Windows in that cost too? Also will you need a wireless card? Will you need Microsoft Office?

Wow thats alot of text, lol. Well with a bit more info we should be able to help you out.

Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member

Thanks given: 38 times
Thanks received: 19 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Suggestions for a new computer
New postPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:48 pm 

Gaming computers are, by definition, the most powerful expensive computers one can build. It's good that you have set a budget. Buy a name brand mid-range motherboard ($150-$250) to build around then spend the other $750 on the best processor, video card, ram and power supply you can add to it within your budget. Don't cheap out on the PSU. It's an integral part of a good gamer.........always buy name brand parts.........

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]