It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:23 am

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
Message Author

Post subject: Registry Hack 2 Run Programs FM Removable HD on 2 Laptops?
New postPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:16 pm 

Told ya's I'd find somewheres to ask. After searching I see no one else has asked this.

While connected to LAPTOP-1 I want to install programs on my removable hard drive. Then I want to connect that removable hard drive to LAPTOP-2 and run the programs there too.

..........LAPTOP-1 is Windows VISTA (not enough room to load all the programs I want)
..........LAPTOP-2 is Windows XPHome SP3 (with a broken CD Drive)

Does anyone know the specific registry hack I need for LAPTOP-2 (XP) to make the programs run?????

Registry hacks in reverse would be WAY kewl too. Both computers are WiFi LAN'd and LAPTOP-2 already has programs loaded that I would love to run on LAPTOP-1 thru the LAN.

It's gotta be a simple fix. I'm sure it is a registry entry that tells the computer the program has been installed so it will run it - regardless of which drive it is on. I asked a guru at the store and he said it can be done & and recited off some unintelligible, incomplete registry entries, but wouldn't tell me the exact hack. I'm sure that's because if I screwed it up he didn't want me coming back and suing the store! :roll:

Rather than stumble around semi-blind, I thought I'd ask YOU gurus.

Please Help,

Mare

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Registry Hack 2 Run Programs FM Removable HD on 2 Laptops?
New postPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:06 am 

Can you get portable versions of the apps you are trying to use? If not, this will be extremely difficult as each computer will need registry entires, referenced dlls, services etc. to run the program properly.

Try portableapps.com and see if you can find what you are looking for.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 424 times
Thanks received: 213 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:04 am 

Thank you for the link Rich.

I looked there and unfortunately there is nothing I am looking for. I want to install the massive programs like MS Office, Paint Shop Pro, etc. that will not fit on LAPTOP-2. I figured if I'm gonna load them on the removable HD, I might as well use the RHD for BOTH computers and use the computers for storage only.

I know that I'll have to edit several registry entries and referenced files, but that's okay by me.

LAPTOP-2's CD drive is broken and I cannot load anymore programs on it. Stupid thing also won't let me network out to see the CD Drive on the other computer to load them that way... Though it WILL let LAPTOP-1 see and manipulate it - another reason for the registry hacks for LAPTOP-2 to use the programs already on 1.

About the referenced dlls and services: Would those also be mentioned in registry entries? And couldn't I simply add the entry and copy the file to the right place? Or edit the file already there?

Any more help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'm up to the task. I just need a point in the right direction.

Mare

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:42 pm 

Each program would have it's own needs. i.e. If you install Office 2007 on an external drive through Laptop-1, the following will happen:

• Laptop-1's registry will be modified (extensively) to associate file types etc.--to work with office.
  • Shared and specific DLLs will be placed in the Windows system 32 directory on Laptop-1
  • Startup entries will be made (i.e. Groove monitor)
  • You will use your license on that computer

If you then boot Laptop-1 without the drive plugged in, you'll get all kinds off errors because it can't find Office 2007, or the Groove monitor etc.

If you put the external HDD with Laptop-2, laptop-2 will have no idea Office is installed. You'd have to put all the DLLs, registry entries on Laptop-2 (which you already know, or you wouldn't be asking)

Pitfalls with this approach:
  • You will have to place a LOT of files on Laptop-2. Finding a comprehensive list will be hard
  • You'd have to do this for EVERY program you use, which would take hours
  • You've already used your license for Office 2007

Solutions:
Let me start by saying: "yes you can do the above, but it will take you a LONG time and cause some real frustrations"

Thus, I propose the following solutions (sometimes what we want to make happen isn't just practical and I know I wouldn't want to hear these answers if I were you.)

Solution 1:
  • Buy a larger hard drive for Laptop-1 (250gb drives are around $60 USD at the moment)
  • Buy a new CD drive for Laptop-2 (A simple CD RW drive is around $25 depending on your laptop)

Solution 2:
  • Find portable versions of the apps you need (they don't register DLLs and carry them all on board--which is slow but it works) I'm sure you're not the only one who wants a portable version of paint shop pro.

Solution 3:
  • Buy a larger hard drive for Laptop-1
  • Create ISOs of your install CDs and use a tool like Daemon Tools to mount the images on Laptop-2; thus, eliminating the need for an optical drive on Laptop-2

I hope this helps; I can see what you are trying to do and this seems like a simple task but if it were, there would be no need for sites like portableapps.com

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:13 pm 

Rich you're awesome! Thank you. You're right, I didn't want to hear it, but I see now that what I want to do is NOT worth the effort involved. I think I will just dedicate the removable HD to L1 and get a new one for L2.

It's not like either one is used mobilly (is that a word? :o ). Oh well...

Thanks again & Merry Christmas!

Mare

Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:37 pm 

You're welcome! Have a great Christmas; good luck with your laptops!

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:03 am 

Thanks Rich, will do.

:D

Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]