It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:55 pm

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
Message Author

Post subject: how to completely erase an autorun prog inside a thmbdrive?
New postPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:23 am 

well....i get this free thumbdrive from a single malt whisky company that it appears to me to be quiet useful because it is inside a pen(and it looks like MONT BLANC),apparently it comes together with an autorun image that really bothering me,after few attempts of fomatting it, i wonder why the image is still there,it's like you can't erase it,and on top of that,every time i plug it in,it's like i have another cd player in my laptop......a new icon of cd player appears in my computer window page out of nowhere....lastly i wonder why everytime i plug it in,my avast antivirus will catch 2 viruses,worm and a trojan,after scanning it,then remove it,plug it back out,lastly put it back in and it will be ok(for that time being until the next time i plug it back in and run the whole thing again)...i wonder where is the virus is coming from.........anyone......please......ask me anything if it happens that you may not understand what am i trying to tell you........thanks......i'm a newbie....a lot of things about computer that i just dont understand..... :|

Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Thanks given: 6 times
Thanks received: 14 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: how to completely erase an autorun prog inside a thmbdrive?
New postPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:56 pm 

Try this reg hack I made. It will disable autorun and remove the autorun cache (for drives that have previously run on your machine) Let me know how that works for you.

1. Extract the zip

Attachment:
noautorun.zip

2. Double click on the .reg file

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 424 times
Thanks received: 213 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:39 am 

i can't open it

Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:31 am 

first of all , right click , on the device and then select properties

* PS : while accessing the DRIVE do not double click on it , just right click on my computer and then explore it , after that you will be able to do the following commands , in a safe way "

- Rename it to anything "E.G : Drive"
- in the same folder go to tools/folder option/ go to the View , and uncheck Hide protected syste...." and check on show hidden files
- in your selected device u will see , a file called autorun , delete it , and then delete the drive name .

and Para , the virus is gone ... :)

hope this will help TC bubye

Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Thanks given: 7 times
Thanks received: 25 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:50 am 

i've tried it,many many times before.....anyway thanks a lot XxBizxX.... :D .....i don't know how to describe it,it's like,there is another partition inside that thumbdrive,and you can't get into it like what you have done to other thumbdrive before....this one?.....it's like a program or anything like it and that cd player icon is not part of the thumbdrive icon....it's not inside there and it will only appear when the thumbdrive being plugged into my laptop....,okay,it's like this...normally when we plug our thumdrive inside a computer only 1 icon wiil appear on the my computer window....but for this one...there's 2 icons will come out,the normal thumbdrive icon and another freaking cd player icon i dont know where the hell it is coming from...and that cd icon?i can only see it and can't do nothing with it....right click delete options,deleting hidden files,format,what else......i think i've done it all and it just doesn't work..... :cry:

Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:31 pm 

well i c , actually there must be a conclusion for this one , if u can send me a picture , of what's exactly happening on ur computer IF U NEED THE DATA ON UR USB DRIVE , otherwise if u dont need it , just put a bootCD and format it from there , if u dont have one , put winxp cd , and attach the drive while booting , the xp partitioner will c it as a modified hdd , so u can erase it , and creat it back , after finishing , u can format it normally from windows,

now as i assume , u've got a virus in ur pc , and it's screwng all around , try to google up COMBOFIX , it's around 2.56 MB , download it , and run it , and u will see the difference there , and use a good AV such symantec , it's good at detecting these stupid viruses man , and , if u are a websurfer , or a comp addict , so u stay all the time's messing around , keep ur hidden and superhidden files alwayz shown , to avoid such things in the future :) .. cheers

Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Thanks given: 7 times
Thanks received: 25 times
 Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]