It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:25 am

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Message Author

Post subject: Slow Internet on Desktop
New postPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:32 pm 

I have a problem with my broadband. I have a speed of up to 20 Mbps max. My desktop down load speed is 0.63Mbps and up load is 0.81 Mbps.I am wireless, but my laptop speeds are 15.22Mbps down load and 0.81Mbps up load which is satisfactory. The laptop is networked into the same router as my desktop. So what can the problem be with my desk top P.C. Any help out there ?.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Thanks given: 13 times
Thanks received: 2 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Slow Internet on Desktop  Topic is solved
New postPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:12 pm 
For this post the author Rich has received gratitude : dougy2

Is your desktop older? You may be using an A/B network card, which will be a little slower (not that slow.)

Try connecting the desktop to the router with an ethernet cable (if possible.) After disabling the wireless (and relying on the ethernet connection alone), what speeds do you get?

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 424 times
Thanks received: 213 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Slow Internet on Desktop
New postPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:04 pm 
For this post the author jumper918 has received gratitude : dougy2

Quote:
I have a problem with my broadband. I have a speed of up to 20 Mbps max. My desktop down load speed is 0.63Mbps and up load is 0.81 Mbps.I am wireless, but my laptop speeds are 15.22Mbps down load and 0.81Mbps up load which is satisfactory. The laptop is networked into the same router as my desktop. So what can the problem be with my desk top P.C. Any help out there ?.

I have virtually the same problem (almost identical UL/DL speeds on my desktop). I have narrowed it down to a bad wireless card. Both my laptop and my desktop are wireless N but I did pick a cheapy card for the desktop.

What brand is your desktops wireless card?

Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member

Thanks given: 38 times
Thanks received: 19 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:40 am 

Thanks Rich I will give that a try as soon as time allows and let you know. Yes, my desktop is older that the laptop but not much. I'm running Vista home on both.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:45 am 

No idea what brand my network card is Jumper. I guess I must find out some how. Do you know how I do it. ?.

Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:24 am 
For this post the author jumper918 has received gratitude : dougy2

I build my computer so I still have the original box. Have you tried the network settings? Other than that opening your box maybe?

It's not really necessary though I was just wondering.

Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member

Thanks given: 38 times
Thanks received: 19 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:19 pm 

Yes. I've connected my earth net wire Rich and thats much better. My download speed is now 15.45 Mbps. I didn't actually disconnect my wireless I just plugged the earth net wire in and thats all I did. Do I really have to disconnect the wireless ?. Do you think I do need an up to date network card ?. I'm not sure where to find that info on my computer (i.e the A/B network card). Would that be the 802.11 b/g wireless adaptor?. If all else fails I might as well keep the earth net wire in since my laptop still works fine that way.

Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:26 pm 

You might try what I did JUMPER and plug in your earth net wire, thats if it's conveniently near your phone line. I get a speed of 15.45 now so I guess I need an up to date card. Is it the 802.11 b/g network adaptor I'm looking for ?, because thats what I have on my desk top.

Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:19 pm 
For this post the author Rich has received gratitude : dougy2

dougy2 wrote:
Yes. I've connected my earth net wire Rich and thats much better. My download speed is now 15.45 Mbps. I didn't actually disconnect my wireless I just plugged the earth net wire in and thats all I did. Do I really have to disconnect the wireless ?. Do you think I do need an up to date network card ?. I'm not sure where to find that info on my computer (i.e the A/B network card). Would that be the 802.11 b/g wireless adaptor?. If all else fails I might as well keep the earth net wire in since my laptop still works fine that way.

If you are not inconvenienced by having the ethernet connected, you can just leave everything as it is.

To disable the wireless card, you can do three things:

1. Remove the card.
2. Disable the adapter in Device Manager.
3. Disable the adapter in the Network settings.

Option 3 is the quickest and easiest. To do this in Vista:

1. Click the Network icon in the notification area, and click Open Network and Sharing Center.
  2. Click Change adapter settings.
  3. Right click the wireless adapter and click Disable

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 424 times
Thanks received: 213 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:18 pm 

Thanks Rich

Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next