It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:29 am

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
Message Author

Post subject: Home page Hijacked  Topic is solved
New postPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:48 am 

Hi, I am running XP updated, Nod anti virus updated.

I recently installed a game purchased in China. Every thing worked OK. I then noticed two icons on my desktop that I could not delete says it is a 'system file' and cannot be deleted. Clicking on these icons takes you to a Chinese web site.
I also noticed that when launching IE the page opens up at some Chinese site. I am not able to change the home page using tools/options... If I launch Firefox all is normal. ???

I have tried programs like 'hijack this' etc but no avail. I ended up formatting my drive.

Was there anything I else I could have done before re-formatting?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks given: 3 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Home page Hijacked
New postPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:53 pm 
For this post the author chris5858 has received gratitude : woggle

You could have started your computer in safe mode and removed the files using a program like File Shredder or something.

Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Thanks given: 5 times
Thanks received: 14 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:00 pm 
For this post the author Stu has received gratitude : woggle

@chris - What files? The ones he wiped?

There are loads of avenues you could have taken before formatting. Note that Hijack this isn't an anti-virus program per se.
Set yourself up with Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes and stay away from dodgy software - Crysis 2 hasn't actually been released yet :lol:

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 375 times
Thanks received: 441 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:07 pm 
For this post the author Makcalable has received gratitude : woggle

First thing do do if you suspect any malware or viruses is reboot into safemode and run a full scan with malwarebytes. the longer you leave it the more damage it can do to system files etc.. then its a whole new ball game, it takes a lot of hard work most of the time to get rid of persistent malware especially if its been left too long.

best prevention is common sense.

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Thanks given: 47 times
Thanks received: 132 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:57 pm 

All good suggestions. In hindsight, formatting is the least painless method (that is, if you take frequent, usable backups -- including program configurations/profiles etc.) But, you can learn a lot from removing infections from your computer. I'd shred that disc before you have a chance to screw up your computer again :)

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 424 times
Thanks received: 213 times
 Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]