It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 2:53 pm

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Message Author

Post subject: Gateway LX 6810
New postPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:38 pm 

A friend of mine has installed 2 case fans in his lx 6810 desktop computer trying to prevent the computer from going into DVI power saving mode. He hooked one of the fans to the power supply (550W) and the other to the motherboard. Now when he fires up, the thing goes into this state even sooner than before. This particular computer is known for the cpu overheating, and we are trying everything to get it to stop entering this mode. Any ideas? Thanks.

Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Thanks given: 3 times
Thanks received: 4 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Gateway LX 6810
New postPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:56 am 
For this post the author Rich has received gratitude : McStud

I'm currently using it to write this post, but I also have a 6810 that I put two extra fans in and have not had problems since. I'm pretty sure I have both fans connected to the MB but I'll open it up later and check for you. Stay tuned.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 424 times
Thanks received: 213 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:40 pm 

Hey Rich. Thank you for your incredibly prompt reply. My buddy called this morning to tell me that he adjusted the fans inside the case, then put all power setting on energy saver. In researching this problem for him, I did encounter a couple of posts from owners suggesting setting the power modes to balanced rather than high-performance. At any rate, he said the thing is doing fine now. However, we still have not reattempted upgrading from Vista to 7. Because of the machine entering the DVI power-save mode, the initial attempt failed. Obviously, rectifying this issue involves more than just one step. Thanks again, and by all means, let me know if he needs to figure out a way to attach the fan connected to power-supply to the MB. You people are awesome!

Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:39 pm 
For this post the author Rich has received gratitude : McStud

You were spot on. I have a 120mm connected to the MB and an 80mm connected via molex. I took a couple of pictures so you can double check your installation. I've had no problems since and the computer runs at decent temps now. I also have a GTX 460 in there and still have no heat issues even during furmark tests etc.

P.S. I apologize for the large photo size but just about to head out for lunch... :P

120mm fan connected to MB:

80mm fan connected to PSU molex:

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:37 am 

Thanks for taking the time to address this Rich. My old classmate called again to say everything is fine now. He not only installed the two fans, but also applied non-high performance settings to all pertinent areas. He did have to mess with the fans to get them working just right, but all is well now. He'll be calling tomorrow to let me know how the upgrade from Vista to 7 goes. It is my contention to believe this too will go well. Incidentally, did you also have the same problem with your unit? Is this why you installed fans as well? Thanks again!

Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:08 pm 

Yes. I switched out the GT 120 for a GTS 250 and started experiencing instant power offs at high FPS. I looked into driver updates and found a BIOS update that addressed the problem. Before installing it, I did some research and found Gateway's solution was to just increase the CPU fan speed at all usage levels. Not wanting that, I opened the box so see what ffans were in there so I could replace them with better ones. I then found it only had a CPU fan (not a real shocker as many OEM machines of yesteryear did the same or even skipped a CPU fan and relied on a hear sink alone.) I went out and purchased a couple of good fans and the problem is solved.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:15 am 

Thanks again Rich. My friend said he is having compatibility issues with his 7 upgrade. He didn't specify what they were, but the shut-down problem is definitely resolved.

Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:35 am 

That's why you should never UPGRADE... unless you use Win 7 XP Mode installation. Sometimes, there are conflicts during an upgrade process.

I prefer the latter, that is, full version of Win 7 Home/Pro/Ultimate...

That's just my opinion...

Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 33 times
Thanks received: 137 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:08 pm 

I also usually go from scratch. Makes things a little cleaner, but it shouldn't have to be that way :P

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:26 pm 

I tried to tell to him to spend the extra $$ for an installation disk, but he still ended up spending 119$ just for the upgrade disk. Great minds think alike. Wipe that HDD and do a clean install. I feel sorry for people who have a large amount of data that they cannot live without. Fortunately, my simple lifestyle allows for simple interaction with my computer....

Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next