It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:11 pm

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
Message Author

Post subject: Need advice for budget-wary laptop
New postPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:11 am 

Ok, so I've been looking for a (low-priced) laptop, and have been reading tons of things about laptops. My price range is very low. Basically the cheapest laptop I can find that will do what I need is what I'm going to get. Now the issue I have is figuring out which processor and how much RAM I need for what I want to do...

I'm going to use my laptop for the regular web browsing, facebook, youtube, email checking, etc. but also I am going to use it for music writing (going to download/purchase software for music composing), some video editing probably, and I would like to have one that can support gaming. (not just minesweeper, freecell, online flash games, or any of that; I mean the big games like Skyrim, Left 4 dead, and World of Warcraft).

Now what I need to know is whether I need an i3, i5, or i7 processor for this. And how many GB of RAM I should have.

Originally, I was thinking of an i3, with 4-6 gigs of RAM. But now I'm starting to see that some games need a quad-core processor.... so I'm looking for advice.

As a small extra question, I'm wondering what type of cable(s) I need to be able to hook up whichever laptop I get to my standard definition TV.

Thanks, and any advice would be helpful :D

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Need advice for budget-wary laptop
New postPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:26 pm 

For video editing and your gaming ( Skyrim, etc.) you will want the most powerful system you can afford. I would recommend at least 8 GB of RAM, a mid to high end descrete video card and a Core i7 CPU if you can afford it. And for music composition, I suspect you will want good quality sound, thus good quality speakers. As there are not many custom built laptops available, you will most likely be looking for a gaming laptop or entertainment system that will have these or similar hardware specs.
While you can go with a cheap system, I suspect you will fairly quickly find that its too slow, and doesn't meet your needs.
As for cables to a standard def TV, depends on the age and what connectors are on it.
Possibly RCA (red, white, yellow) and you may need to convert from one type of connector to another;
however; you will probably find the computer's resolution is too high (normally 1024X768 of 4:3 aspect ratio) to be displayed on a standard-definition television.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 3 times
 Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]