It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 4 of 11 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
Message Author

Post subject: Re: The Suggestion Box
New postPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:11 pm 

shinigami wrote:
I would like to know the different between cd-r and cd-rw, dvd-r, ect. and why some computers can't read them. Thanks :D

I think I can answer that now... :D
CD means Compact disk
DVD means Digital Versatile Disc
the -r means Recordable
- rw means Rewritable

So the CDs are mostly used to audio, and DVDs to files and movies et cetera.

And your computer cd-dvd drive have to support the formats, t.ex. my computer supports only CD and DVD -r and -rw.

Update: Guide here [Rich]

Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Thanks given: 15 times
Thanks received: 75 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:38 pm 

Batupata wrote:
shinigami wrote:
I would like to know the different between cd-r and cd-rw, dvd-r, ect. and why some computers can't read them. Thanks :D

I think I can answer that now... :D
CD means Compact disk
DVD means Digital Versatile Disc
the -r means Recordable
- rw means Rewritable

So the CDs are mostly used to audio, and DVDs to files and movies et cetera.

And your computer cd-dvd drive have to support the formats, t.ex. my computer supports only CD and DVD -r and -rw.

I meant in comparison, for example what is the difference between cd+r /cd-r and cd-rw/cd+rw. Also what about the DVDs?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 1 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:04 pm 
For this post the author Mike has received gratitude : Stu

DVD Rewritable (Wikipedia) This article explains the main differences between all the formats. In laymen's terms, the "+" formats are usually newer compared to the "-", and "R" means recordable, meaning you can write on them only once, while "RW" is re-writable, meaning you can write over the data many times, like an old floppy disk. But who does that when there are 32GB USB flash drives? Also, some drives can only read certain discs, so your DVD burner may not be able to record on DVD+R, while it can on DVD-R, and so on and so forth. Kind of confusing stuff, I wish they would make it easier to understand.

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Thanks given: 9 times
Thanks received: 100 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:33 am 
For this post the author texxxun has received gratitude : Rich

Alright... I reckon we are only as strong as our weakest link. So RAM was our weakest link? Okay, I can buy that. ;)) Now I would like to submit a suggestion for the rest of us. I recently installed a Windows Home Server. How about a section on how to get the most out of Home Server with regards to XP, Vista and Win 7 as clients? Also, how to make this an awesome Media Center tool? Mintywhite is still my fave.

Update: I have, what I consider, quite a nifty home network running. However, networks are so inherently different, difficult to troubleshoot from afar, and prone to misconfiguration. I have a Home Network Book well into writing but I keep finding myself adding more and more "if this, then that, if something else, then that" and it's quite disheartening because there are so many variables. I've not given up yet but it's a tough topic to tackle on a broad, works-for-everyone, scale. [Rich]

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks received: 3 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:09 pm 

I would like to know how can I transform a movie from avi to DVD format. Moreover, how can I embed two or more movies ( avi format) into a DVD format with menu ?
Thanks

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:16 pm 
For this post the author CHIPSpeaking has received thanks - 3: NorwayDude, Rich, Stu

I would like to see an examination of megapixel count in digital cameras and how the megapixel rating has an effect on the quality and color depth of the pictures you take with them.

I would also like an explanation of the optical zoom versus digital zoom idea. Which one is better? I'd like to know more before I drop large amounts of money on a camera and find I can't take pictures any better than with my old Kodak Brownie camera from 1965.

Update: As this ventures out of the Windows realm, I recommend you head over to http://digitalphotographyschool.com for more information than you'll ever need on cameras :)
[Rich]

:geek:

CHIPSpeaking
John Mood

New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

New postPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:27 pm 
For this post the author walt1019 has received thanks - 3: NorwayDude, Rich, Stu

Tips on securing home wireless networks could be useful. So many are still using the default settings which are wide open while some just use WEP, MAC filtering or not broadcasting the SSID which offers little to no protection.

Update: Guide Here
[Rich]

Walt
GCIH

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:24 pm 

walt1019 wrote:
Tips on securing home wireless networks could be useful. So many are still using the default settings which are wide open while some just use WEP, MAC filtering or not broadcasting the SSID which offers little to no protection.

Walt
GCIH

Great suggestion, thank you Walt.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 375 times
Thanks received: 441 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:32 pm 
For this post the author dw_7 has received gratitude : Rich

An article on "Easy way to remove a corrupted folder or file (in XP, Vista, Win7).

New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks received: 1 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:18 am 

CHIPSpeaking wrote:
I would like to see an examination of megapixel count in digital cameras and how the megapixel rating has an effect on the quality and color depth of the pictures you take with them.

I would also like an explanation of the optical zoom versus digital zoom idea. Which one is better? I'd like to know more before I drop large amounts of money on a camera and find I can't take pictures any better than with my old Kodak Brownie camera from 1965.

A topic after my own taste :D
on the topic if zoom - optical is always better - but I'm gonna look into this one

Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Thanks given: 3 times
Thanks received: 9 times
 Profile E-mail  

Page 4 of 11 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next