It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
Message Author

Post subject: Has anyone tried installing windows 8 on a netbook?
New postPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:36 pm 

Has anyone tried installing windows 8 on a netbook? And more specifically on one with a screen resolution of 1024 x 768? Windows 8 evaluator states my netbook resolution will not be able to run the metro ui (apps) because of the height resolution being too small (not a minimum of 768) - my resolution is 1024 x 600. My question is: Has anyone installed windows 8 regardless of resolution being too small just so they could possibly have a better/faster operating system than windows 7 starter edition os? In other words, would it be wise do you think to pay the £24.99 to upgrade or do you think windows 7 starter edition is better/faster in some way?

Regards

John

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 4 times

Post subject: Re: Has anyone tried installing windows 8 on a netbook?
New postPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:57 am 

Starter Edition...:( never used....

anyway Try Upgrade Adviser

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/wind ... -windows-8

Contributor
Contributor
Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 121 times
Thanks received: 263 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:43 pm 
For this post the author Rich has received gratitude : UVAIS

Windows 8 does support lower resolutions but touch apps wont work until you update your video drivers. I just tried this on my wife's netbook and here's how I got everything to work:

Install Windows 8 on the netbook
Download and install the GMA 1350 drivers from Intel (if you can provide the netbook model, I can confirm the 1350 drivers will work. I see 950 drivers available too for the N2xx atoms): http://downloadcenter.intel.com/
Reboot
Open the Intel display settings (right click desktop) and set the resolution to 1024x768

Touch apps will work but things got a little ugly on the start menu so I set it back to 1024x600 and will switch back if I need to use a touch app.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 424 times
Thanks received: 213 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:54 pm 

Hi Rich,

The model is the - Packard Bell Dot SE-110UK - 1 GB of memory - 1024 x 600 Resolution - NON-Touch.......I think it is about 2 or 3 years old now. Came with Windows 7 Starter Edition but I feel it would benefit from Windows 8's faster startup and overall feel......I have Windows 8 on my big laptop and like it slightly better than Windows 7.

Regards

John

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

New postPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:58 pm 

Just spotted GMA 1350 on the label together with Intel Atom N450.

Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

New postPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:01 pm 

Sorry!!...meant GMA 3150.

Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

New postPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:51 pm 

Your screen resolution doesn't meet the requirement to install apps from the Windows Store
You need a screen resolution of at least 1024 x 768 to install and use apps from the Windows Store (this includes apps that might be pre-installed on your PC). You might be able to change your resolution in the Display Control Panel.

To access the Windows Store and to download and run apps, you need an active Internet connection and a screen resolution of at least 1024 x 768

To snap apps, you need a screen resolution of at least 1366 x 768

Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

New postPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:01 pm 

I installed Windows 8 and all is well......only the native windows apps don't work. The tiles work in as far as clicking on them etc but an error message will appear stating resolution too low when trying to use an app like ms word all is well (the tile works), so I just setup my app links (tiles) through the desktop. This scenario suites me fine as I 100% of the time use the desktop anyway. Conclusion: Windows 8 is far better and faster than windows 7 starter edition. If you are not fussy about the app experience, or lack of usage of it, I would recommend spending the £24.99 on the upgrade to windows 8.

Regards

John

Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

New postPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:11 pm 

Yoingco wrote:
Hi Rich,

The model is the - Packard Bell Dot SE-110UK - 1 GB of memory - 1024 x 600 Resolution - NON-Touch.......I think it is about 2 or 3 years old now. Came with Windows 7 Starter Edition but I feel it would benefit from Windows 8's faster startup and overall feel......I have Windows 8 on my big laptop and like it slightly better than Windows 7.

Regards

John
here is a site that has a registry tweak for asus netbooks; don't know if it works with w8 :

- Type in Win+R and put ‘regedit’ (without the quotes) into the box.
- Search for ‘Display1_DownScalingSupported’ and change the value from ‘0′ to ‘1′

They have a change Rez utility towards the bottom of this forum: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows/4 ... anger.html

Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Thanks given: 2 times
Thanks received: 2 times
 Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]