It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
Message Author

Post subject: Windows 8 Fluent UI, Webcam + 2 more  Topic is solved
New postPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:52 pm 
For this post the author Shane has received thanks - 3: Rich, Rick, UVAIS

So, as we probably all established, Windows 8 Milestone 1 has been leaked as version 7850. Of course people question it being Windows 8 as it identifies itself as Windows 7; that's just because they needed SOME sort of platform to build it off of.

Anyhow, as always there's new features built into the OS. Bear in mind you SHOULD NOT use a milestone build as primary OS. Bad idea. Run it in a virtual machine, or use a secondary box.

NOW! Let's enable these features using handy dandy registry edits!
If you don't know how to edit registry values, let alone find regedit, you SHOULDN'T BE DOING THESE >=|
(Now go read the guide on how to here => http://mintywhite.com/windows-7/7securi ... -registry/ )

1. Windows Explorer Ribbon UI
--The ribbon UI was introduced with Office 2007, so you probably know all about it. If not, google it.--
* run regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\TaskUI
* make a 32-bit value called "TaskUIEnabled", set value to 1
* profit!

2. Webcam.exe
--Apparently a built-in webcam application. Finally! (uses generic webcam drivers methinks)--
* run regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\GRE_Initialize\
* make DWORD value RemoteFontBootCacheFlags and set it 0x100f (4111)
* profit!

3. TaskUI
--A redesigned task manager. It's greatly simplified and I don't like it.--
* run regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\TaskUI
* make a 32-bit value called "TaskUIEnabled", set value to 1
* profit!

4. Modern PDF Reader
--Instead of always having to use third party, Windows apparently has its own now. Hopefully it won't suck when finished.-
* run regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Applets\Paint\Capabilities
* make string value called "CLSID" - "{D3E34B21-9D75-101A-8C3D-00AA001A1652}."
* profit!

Hope you enjoy, and remember to use at your own risk! I'm not responsible if you went, pirated Win8 M1, installed it as your primary OS, did these and borked it. That's on you :p Good day!

Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member

Thanks given: 1 times
Thanks received: 12 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Windows 8 Fluent UI, Webcam + 2 more
New postPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:26 pm 

Thanks for the tips.

I appreciate you linking to the registry guide. These kinds of tips will save you rebuilding the OS every time you screw it up :)

Edit: Any details on how to get the new browser working?

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 424 times
Thanks received: 213 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:18 pm 

As of yet no; an unnamed Spanish user has been able to unlock it, but details/ how to material has yet to be posted. There are screenshots, however; they indicate an immersive UI, a bit reminiscent of Windows Phone 7's Metro UI.

Pic: http://windows8beta.com/wp-content/imag ... rowser.jpg

Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member

Thanks given: 1 times
Thanks received: 12 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:13 am 

Thanks for the tips Shane ;)

Contributor
Contributor
Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 121 times
Thanks received: 263 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:29 am 

Can an integrated webcam be reinstalled after it is accidentally un-installed? I recently tried to update my webcam software on my HP Pavilion dv9823cl notebook w/integrated webcam. I got the message to do an un-install first. After several tries I got a new message - Webcam device not found! It's not even listed in Device Manager. I can't find it anywhere. Any suggestions out there?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]