"Is Windows 8 Faster than Windows 7?"
I've had this post in draft status for a couple of days but haven't had time to gather the data.
On one PC that is at least a dual core w/3+GB RAM -- 64-bit capable CPU:
Clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Clean install of Windows 8 DP 64bit w/dev tools
Run basic benchmarking tests with both installs:
- Stanby on / off times on a clean install. I.e. wake to usable PC time
- Game performance (w/Fraps?)
- File transfer time (100GB small files, 100GB single file etc.)
- Open 50 apps at once in both OSs... how long to open?
- Close all 50 apps. How long to reopen?
- A couple more tests...
Has anyone done this? Is anyone willing?
I'd be willing to give you full credit (and an author account if you don't have one) and it will be posted on mintywhite.com (24k+ RSS readers) and reposted on MSMVPS.com
Any takers? I can provide limited support but the expectation is that you'll have fun and gather (pretty) useful data on early Windows 8 builds... this is something we can update and retest (with the same hardware) going forward.