It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Reasonable Windows 8 Price
-£100  57%  57%  [ 8 ]
£100-£200  43%  43%  [ 6 ]
£200-£300  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
+£300  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

Message Author

Post subject: What is a reasonable price for Windows 8?
New postPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:14 pm 

Just saw this poll on Neowin and thought i'd ask you guys what you think to this.

Personally, i think Windows is overpriced. I won't be able to afford Windows 8 (unless it's under £20) so now use Linux instead of pirating and dealing with all the caveats that come with that.

If money were no object, i'd probably be willing to shell out £100-£120 for Windows 8 (Ultimate) however.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 375 times
Thanks received: 441 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What is a reasonable price for Windows 8?
New postPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:28 pm 
For this post the author Rick has received gratitude : Stu

I would chose 100 to 200 pounds (158.14 to 316.27 USD). That's really the norm.

Linux is not as robust, but still usable. Linux don't have many drivers or programs but I think that windows program can be installed in Linux...

I've been trying to tackle it and use it much through VM instead. There's no need to pirate, and it isn't that bad of a price. If it's too much why not use Mac? Is it around $30? (~19 pounds?)

Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 33 times
Thanks received: 137 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:02 pm 

$ 1 :lol: just kidding

Which version ?

I think they'll sell in same rate .ie -Windows 7

Contributor
Contributor
Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 121 times
Thanks received: 263 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:41 pm 
For this post the author Stu has received thanks - 2: Rick, UVAIS

UVAIS wrote:
Which version ?

My crystal ball is not working so cannot specify which version.
Let's say "Ultimate"

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:05 am 
For this post the author UVAIS has received gratitude : Stu

Stu wrote:
UVAIS wrote:
Which version ?

My crystal ball is not working so cannot specify which version.
Let's say "Ultimate"

you need to Upgrade your Crustal ball :lol:

Price ^^ £100-£200 :D

Contributor
Contributor
Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 121 times
Thanks received: 263 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:43 am 

Rick wrote:
I would chose 100 to 200 pounds (158.14 to 316.27 USD). That's really the norm.

Linux is not as robust, but still usable. Linux don't have many drivers or programs but I think that windows program can be installed in Linux...

I've been trying to tackle it and use it much through VM instead. There's no need to pirate, and it isn't that bad of a price. If it's too much why not use Mac? Is it around $30? (~19 pounds?)

Not to get off topic - but I must disagree on the Linux points. Although software support for consumers sucks on Linux, it is VERY robust. I heard recently that >80% of servers run on *nix.

And the Ubuntu distribution of Linux has equal if not greater driver support than Windows - you install it and it works fine. On every hardware I've ever used.

The problem with Linux is fragmentation and support. There are so many distributions that it makes it difficult to develop and sell software for Linux, and when things go wrong consumers have no one to call.

Back on topic - I would love to see a pricing structure similar to OS X upgrades ($29.99 USD, anyone?) but I doubt that will happen. I'm putting all my chips on MSDNAA for myself to get a free copy (my tuition has to help me somewhere, right?)

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Thanks given: 9 times
Thanks received: 100 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:38 pm 

Thanks for pointing that out Mike. I have been meaning to make Linux my main OS and use Windows + others in the VM instead. I was concerned on drivers and program reliability on Linux, e.g. Dell V715w printer drivers, and program, plus a plethora of other things. I do honestly know that Linux is becoming more robust if I am not mistaken.

I would have to disagree with the Upgrade features as I NEVER upgrade due to the complex nature of Windows system kernels, code, and it's UI don't always work well. Besides, when I go to reformat, I'd hate to have to go back to extinction to new, which considerably takes a long time to get back in working and up to date state...

With that said, I like that idea, "$29.99 Upgrade" price. MS is ridiculously overpriced for sure...

So, I use Linux in VM instead.... I dislike using OpenOffice, they are garbage, and I like MS Office that I used when I am TA at the college helping students correct papers, as well as the inability to share some documents, files, etc... Yes, Linux is becoming robust as we speak. It's getting better for sure.

Thanks for your input Mike

Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 33 times
Thanks received: 137 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:20 pm 

Printer drivers are a different story on Linux - I know most hardware drivers are covered, but peripherals may not be as widely available.

Try LibreOffice - I use it on OS X and I think it is much more usable and attractive than OpenOffice.

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:51 pm 

Only on mintywhite can a discussion about the price of Windows get hijacked into a discussion about Linux, Office software and -- well, anything but the price of Windows! :lol:

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:49 pm 

Guilty :(

Maybe it's because we all already know the price for Windows 8 will be in the hundreds of dollars. Double frowny face.

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next