It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
Message Author

Post subject: Windows 8 Consumer Preview Reviews
New postPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:30 pm 
For this post the author Mike has received thanks - 3: mindborne, Stu, UVAIS

Happy Windows 8 Day everyone! I'm sure everyone is busy downloading/installing today, but I'd like to set apart this thread for any and all comments and reviews of the new release. Be long-winded! Post hundreds of screenshots! Go crazy!

I've downloaded and burned the .iso to a DVD, and am just waiting for work and school to be over so I can install it on my dev machine for "playing". I'll edit this post with my thoughts.

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Thanks given: 9 times
Thanks received: 100 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview Reviews
New postPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:50 pm 
For this post the author Stu has received gratitude : UVAIS

Stickied

Just got it installed and have been playing for an hour or so. After having to mess around installing a display driver yet again, I find Windows 8 Consumer Preview extremely slow & clunky - Metro & Desktop.
On a powerful tablet the experience might be a lot different (I'm eager to try it on a tablet) and a lot of the design choices would probably make sense though with mouse and keyboard it really is horrid. I'd even go so far to say the Dev Preview is nicer.

Just thought i'd vent my initial opinion, hopefully i'll come back with something positive to say later.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 375 times
Thanks received: 441 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:41 pm 

I still haven't managed a proper installation of Windows 8 Consumer Preview - my old laptop's optical drive has bitten the dust and it is a bit too old to boot from USB reliably. I did try it out in Virtualbox, but virtualization is always sub-optimal compared to an actual thick client installation.

For those of you using the Consumer Preview, how is the stability? Are you using any "real" apps on it? (read: Microsoft Office, Photoshop, real productivity stuff) If I hear it's stable and that apps are compatible, I may upgrade my Windows 7 boot camp partition on my primary machine to Windows 8. Let me hear your thoughts!

My thoughts so far: Even though it is slow in a VM, W8 is beautiful. I still think it is bi-polar with regards to Metro & the "old" desktop, but I'm glad they have integrated more options into Metro to prevent people having to go to the desktop all the time. Even though it's a drastic change, I'd be happy if they killed the desktop and put all features within Metro. The charms and multitasking in Metro are pretty cool and I miss them when on the desktop. Not to mention the desktop just looks dated compared to Metro. I LOVE Skydrive and XBox integration in W8, and all of the sharing features. I would just love to try it out on a full-blown daily driver machine.

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:51 pm 
For this post the author Stu has received thanks - 2: Mike, mindborne

Real application compatibility seems fine. I've installed Adobe MS CS5 & Office 2010 successfully and all seems well.
Does your system support booting from VHD's?
If so i've written a program i'd be willing to share with you to get a bootable VHD setup.....performance seems no different than a real system!

Here are some likes and dislikes:
Dislikes.
Metro is too clunky
Some elements of the UI use Metro and where you'd expect to see Metro sometimes you see "normal Windows" (system tray)....it's a clusterf**k as we say in the trade.
There are not enough improvments to the Desktop - File history & Explorer ribbon....what else again?!
Installing drivers was a nightmare for me. My Windows 7 drivers surprisingly & unexpectedly didn't work.
Where's the new WMP & WMC? improvements to Notepad, Paint etc.? Isn't this a re-imagining of Windows?
Most of the Metro apps seem to have a stupid region restriction on them so i can't even enjoy them.
Startup & Shutdown times are no faster than Windows 7.
If you use a password manager tool namely Keepass, good luck getting on with that!
Open application taskbar is too easy to loose focus of (mouse)

Things i do like.
Lock screen, password pics & PIN - nice additions, really fast.
Copy dialog - especially the new "conflicting files" UI
Tweaks to import photos and videos (grouping is a really cool tweak)
Task manager
Start menu
Sharing integration (though i'm only able to ever share via email)
Windows Store - Fast and fluid. Would be nice to have the ability to queue apps for installation.

That is all for now.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 375 times
Thanks received: 441 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:00 am 

Window 8 is coming with a new feature named "Kill switch".
As discussed in Microsoft support program, Kill switch allows user to take remote access of other computer on which window 8 is installed.
So if you have window 8 then there is no need to install any other software to take remote access.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 pm 

Sounds like I will hold off from making this a daily driver - the possibility of driver issues is too big a risk for me. Not to mention I don't want to install all of my software again. I had to call Microsoft to get Office activated last time.

@Stu - Can't do a .vhd, my laptop is a 32-bit pre-hardware-virtualization model. If the BIOS doesn't boot from a DVD, I'm pretty much screwed. As a matter of fact, it's just sitting on my desk at home with no OS now. It's really strange, it will boot from an iBoot legacy DVD (to make it a Hackintosh), but won't recognize any Windows or Linux installation disk I put in. I would flash the BIOS, but there's no OS. Oops.

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:41 pm 

I finally found a Vista 64 bit driver for my ATI x1300 pro that works.
I couldn't stand the way it looked without the drivers.
I've had W 8 since they released it but didn't mess with it much till today.
I only have 1 cat cable coming in here from the router.
I finally just grabbed a spare router and set it up so I can run more comps.

I added the start menu and like it better now.
For my use atm, I don't need the metro stuff, just a plain old desktop.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Established Member
Established Member

Thanks received: 3 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:39 pm 

The windows 8 consumer preview is really cool. The main feature i liked is the screen capture. To create any image file on the screen you can simply press the windows key + print screen. The user interface is awesome too.

New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]