It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:27 am

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 2 of 11 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
Message Author

Post subject: Re: The Suggestion Box
New postPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:39 pm 
For this post the author DarkNovaGamer has received gratitude : Rich

This is just me, but I believe MintyWhite should add a Linux/OS X Section (I'd be willing to write articles for that, since I do use OS X and Ubuntu on my desktop).

Update: We have a lot of suggestions for Linux; however, it's not a fit for Windows Guides and I'm not looking to add more sites right now. I really want to focus on Windows for the time being.

Perhaps you can pay these guys a visit: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... forums-50/
[Rich]

Other then that.. perhaps more PC Gaming articles (PC Game reviews, tips/tricks, etc)? Who doesn't love games?!?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 1 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:05 pm 
For this post the author Sol Todres has received gratitude : Rich

I find your site very facinating. I would suggest that you focus on freeware programs of all varieties and provide detailed instructions how to use them, including screen shots. This will enable readers who are hesistant to try new programs to be able to follow your instructions, be able to install the programs properly and to use them with less anxiety.

Update: We always try to do our best to explain software as we review it (including installation and configuration); check out our latest reviews here: Software Guides [Rich]

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:22 pm 
For this post the author nthkmf has received gratitude : Rich

Hi,
On my opinion, let start something like this, ^^ Sorry for my English ^^:
1. We have a lot of Categories and Topics about Windows, How to find a good answer or topic without using search form a mong them? So if we have an Index, called " The Most Valueable Topics", includes all the best answer, questions, I thinks it's helpful.

Update: Still working on indexing things but here's a start[Rich]

2. Who hate Windows in this Forum? :) We don't know exactly, so give them a place where they can show what and why they hate Windows! We can have lots of valuable idea from them, and we can find out solution for that.

Update: We try to stay positive around here :P [Rich]

Thanks in advance :)

Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Thanks given: 7 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:32 pm 

DarkNovaGamer wrote:
This is just me, but I believe MintyWhite should add a Linux/OS X Section (I'd be willing to write articles for that, since I do use OS X and Ubuntu on my desktop).

Other then that.. perhaps more PC Gaming articles (PC Game reviews, tips/tricks, etc)? Who doesn't love games?!?

I've been sooo itched to get my hands on linux. I am a newbie...but would like to expand skills on different OSs.

I did mention the addition of Linux...

Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 33 times
Thanks received: 137 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:44 pm 

ITGeekRC wrote:
DarkNovaGamer wrote:

I've been sooo itched to get my hands on linux. I am a newbie...but would like to expand skills on different OSs.

I did mention the addition of Linux...

Everyone wants to try it at some point. I really think MintyWhite could become a multi-platform site. Why limit to just Windows? I have a friend who would be willing to write about Linux related things as well. ;)

Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Suggestion Box -ideas
New postPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:49 pm 
For this post the author Alchemist45 has received gratitude : Rich

For those of us making the transition from Windows XP to Windows 7 64-bit, I think it would be useful to have a discussion/tutorial about what will work from old Windows XP and what won't run in Win 7 64-bit.

For instance:

Networking between computers with the two systems. I have seen discussion galore, but they don't deal with things at a really useful level. I think some do's and don'ts would help. I am still struggling with getting full communication on a home LAN. Lots of tricks with protocols and permissions; it's been hit and miss. It would have been helpful to have a good checklist and tutorial. For instance IVP6 vs IVP4. Better turn off IVP6 if you have Win XP machines.

Also, what software will work and what won't from XP to Win 7 64 bit. Most older Win XP games fail even on the XP mode emulator for some reason. The Microsoft compatibility list is not very helpful. For instance it says AOE II will work. As far as I can tell it won't. If someone finds how to run these older programs a tutorial about setup under Win 7 64 bit would be great!

Update: As there's so much software, the best thing to do is run a web search and see how other people did [Rich]

A list of apps that use 16 bit drivers or dll's would help since they apparently won't work under any conditions.

An area where one can post questions about how to get legacy programs going in Win 7 64bit.

I think you get the idea. I find your site useful to help answer problems and think these suggestions might make it more so.

Keep up the good work.

Alchemist45 posting.php?mode=reply&f=19&t=4460#

P.S. Please enter me in the contest.

New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:00 am 
For this post the author NorwayDude has received gratitude : Rich

Bert_H wrote:
A clear and concise explanation about RAM. A lot of my co-workers are clueless about what it is, what it does, and why upgrading is simple. (I will hardcopy it and hand 'em out. Don't forget to credit this site as I always give credit where deserved).

Also, an explanation on i3, i5, i7 Operating Systems, and how they compare with Core 2 and Quad Core CPUs.

Thanx.

Great IDEA, I'll start working on it. :)

Update: Guide here [Rich]

Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Thanks given: 3 times
Thanks received: 9 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:17 am 
For this post the author shoby has received gratitude : Rich

What do you ppl say about a section for "digital artists" for example with tutorials for PS or free brushes or other programs for making any kind of "digital art" or a source of windows themes
and some kind of a gallery where members can post/upload their creations by genre e.g. picture gallery, software gallery (like mentioned above) maybe a music gallery that kind of stuff
Just a place to share your creations with the community.....

Update: For now, the best place to start is here on Windows Forums. When things gain traction, they usually find their way on to the main site as a new feature or update [Rich]

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Thanks given: 72 times
Thanks received: 59 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:32 pm 
For this post the author JohnR has received gratitude : Rich

There have been so many GREAT Minty guide books that it is sometimes difficult to remember which one you read a particular article in. Some of the publications I subscribe to print a consolidated index at the end of each year. Wouldn't it be great to have an index of the articles which are in the numerous Minty guides? That would make it much easier to quickly access the particular nugget you are looking for!

Update: I love the suggestion and mean to do it every year. Some of the most popular Windows Guides posts are the "best of" ones. When I finally figure out a way to better index the site, I'll definitely have this in mind. Thank you.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Thanks received: 2 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:00 pm 
For this post the author JohnR has received gratitude : Rich

In most on the Minty White guides there are many references to such things as 'See the selection on Web Slices here' where the underlined sections brings you to a URL. If you decide to print the book it becomes much more difficult to click on the hotspot. I'd love to see the URLs inserted in the guides for us folk who print them.

Thanks!!

Update: I learned a lot writing the first few books but, as the become less popular, and the need for a Windows 8 book arises, I'll keep that in mind ;) [Rich]

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Thanks received: 2 times
 Profile E-mail  

Page 2 of 11 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next