It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:36 am

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
Message Author
 Post subject: IE9 a Better Malware Blocker than Other Browsers
New postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:07 pm 

Quote:
Even though Microsoft’s IE9 is only a few months old, Microsoft has something it can claim that other browsers can’t. It is a good malware blocker; indeed, it is better than the other browsers.

What makes the IE9 Malware Blocker stand out is that it has two components for the SmartScreen Filter. One is URL Reputation, which is included in IE8 and Application Reputation, which is new to IE9. IE9 caught an exceptional 92% of the live threats with SmartScreen URL reputation, and an additional 8% with Application Reputation. IE9 with SmartScreen offers the best protection of any browser against socially engineered malware. Protection against malware targeting European users matched broader findings from the Q3 2010 global test.

more @ Source :thumbup: :ugeek:

Contributor
Contributor
Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 121 times
Thanks received: 263 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: IE9 a Better Malware Blocker than Other Browsers
New postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:52 pm 
For this post the author Mike has received gratitude : UVAIS

This is all good and everything, but I just wanted to point something out - socially engineered malware can be avoided 100% of the time by the user, with no intervention from a browser. Don't click on e-mail links that are suspicious, know that your bank and other institutions will never ask for your user name, password, or account number, etc.

I'm guessing for this test they clicked on every suspicious e-mail link and then calculated how many times they were stopped by the browser? I'm sure if Chrome wanted to up their percentage they could have the browser throw out a pop-up everytime you opened a link from GMail that said "Hey, you're probably getting screwed by clicking this link for male enhancement that you didn't sign up for you idiot."

I know it's a little facetious, but if you're going to be on the internet you have a responsibility to be careful about socially engineered malware. It's not up to the browser. If someone walked up to you on the street and told you that your bank account had been compromised and they were wearing a badge from the company, would you really just give them your account number and personal information? I don't see how people react differently when it's in e-mail.

Just my two cents... but good job IE9 :P Now start syncing bookmarks across Live Accounts, package Flash with your browser and integrate Flash updates, get on a 6-month release cycle, stop lying about your HTML5 performance, and fix your JavaScript rendering and you'll still be 6 months behind Chrome.

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Thanks given: 9 times
Thanks received: 100 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: IE9 a Better Malware Blocker than Other Browsers
New postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:15 pm 

Thanks Mike :) for your good comment & Example :P :thumbup:

Contributor
Contributor
Windows Guru
Windows Guru