It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Message Author

Post subject: Re: Get Back Windows 7 Start Menu in Windows 8 DP [How To]
New postPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:48 am 
For this post the author Rick has received gratitude : Rich

I re-enabled Metro-UI... Me liking it... :-)

Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 33 times
Thanks received: 137 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:16 am 

Just a little side note, that Microsoft are going to be doing away with the Windows 8 Start menu altogether, and they are bringing in new features also in the BETA version of Windows 8 that will compensate for us desktop user's missing out on many features, because really Windows 8 was designed for a Tablet/slate and not a desktop, I feel they have focussed far too much on the development side of thing pointing away from usability for the desktop and laptops, and it does seem that they have woken up and realized this now.

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Thanks given: 47 times
Thanks received: 132 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:16 pm 

@Makcalable:

Source?

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Thanks given: 9 times
Thanks received: 100 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:24 pm 

Well I can't locate that other article that I read that about the Windows start menu but I did find this article taking about changes to the Start screen, maybe it was the same thing the other article meant, not sure... but there is a way to get the windows 7 start menu back anyway.

See here http://www.winrumors.com/microsoft-prom ... -concerns/

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:52 pm 

I don't think they're moving away from the Start Screen at all - it just sounds like they are taking in developer feedback and integrating some new things into newer builds. They would be absolutely crazy if they threw away all that development work, especially after such a successful demo at the BUILD conference, just to make some people happy.

If you don't like the Start Screen, stay with Windows 7. Windows 8 can still do everything Windows 7 can, it's just a little different. Some people don't like to change - don't try to be an early adopter if you are not one of these people. Early adopters are people open to new ways of doing things and new interfaces, etc. I can tell when mainstream users and not early adopters test Windows 8 Developer preview, because the first thing they say is "I don't like the Metro UI, how do I disable it?" How do you expect to innovate when you prefer things the way they are?

I enjoy the Start Screen (even with a mouse and keyboard) and would like to see it in Windows 8. It has not hampered my efficiency in any way, and the only thing I ask of Microsoft is that they actually make it possible to do everything I need to within Metro - so I don't have to go the desktop anymore.

My big point is - I get upset when someone does something new and a bunch of people say "I liked the old way better".

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:13 pm 

Well I got to be honest the first thing I done after Installing Windows 8 was to get the Windows 7 start menu back, I mean as it is at the moment it just isn't right for a desktop and Microsoft has said as much which is why they are bringing out most of these new features in the Beta release.

I am really disappointed for the fact we are unable to utilize windows 8 to it's fullest potential, but at the same time I am overwhelmed.

Don't get me wrong I like the start screen but I am not too keen on the actual start menu.

I will say this, if I wasn't using Windows 8 on a desktop and had a tablet I am pretty sure it would be the most perfect and revolutionary OS there is and I believe it is all that, but not on a desktop/Latop

Quote:
I would say little tweaks like that account for 75% of people's computer problems (the other 25%, of course, is looking at pr0n lol)

Well yes you are most probably right Mike, but at the end of the day if your not to enjoy Windows by modifying and tweaking at some point in your life then what's the point. I say get out there and see what can be tweaked and modified but at the same time make sure you back up the registy and or computer, it's all about learning and we are all still learning and even more so with Windows 8.

Oh just one more thing @Uvais, you forgot to mention that you need to Re Start the computer for full changes to take effect, like for the Start Button ;-)

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:20 pm 

Oh trust me I tweak my computer, but I know what to tweak to avoid problems. Some people believe that because it's there it's meant to be messed with. In most cases you will screw something up if you take that approach. UI tweaking is good, but tweaking system files and the registry can just be plain dumb. But some people feel it's necessary to prove they can do it.

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:33 pm 

Mike wrote:
Oh trust me I tweak my computer, but I know what to tweak to avoid problems. Some people believe that because it's there it's meant to be messed with. In most cases you will screw something up if you take that approach. UI tweaking is good, but tweaking system files and the registry can just be plain dumb. But some people feel it's necessary to prove they can do it.

Well yes, there are many that just don't have a clue whatsoever, so it is a good job that we are here isn't it LOL

I really contemplating just going full hog and getting a Windows 8 Tablet when it gets released just so everything can be utilized if you know what I mean, I think it would be a waste to go out and purchase windows 8 for a desktop/laptop.

What are you thoughts on this?

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:26 pm 

Makcalable wrote:
I really contemplating just going full hog and getting a Windows 8 Tablet when it gets released just so everything can be utilized if you know what I mean, I think it would be a waste to go out and purchase windows 8 for a desktop/laptop.

What are you thoughts on this?

Although i find the UI to work just fine on my Desktop, i know what you mean - you want to be able to touch it. Even with a multi-touch trackpad the experience is better. I'll probably be standing behind you in the queue to get a W8 tablet ;)

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 375 times
Thanks received: 441 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:43 am 

I agree Stu, there is a laptop now coming out with Multi-touch that allows the user to use the track pad and touchscreen. I actually thought the reason MS brought the Metro-UI in because of tablets, which they are decided for tablets now coming to similar concepts to Windows Desktop/Laptop, and others.

Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 33 times
Thanks received: 137 times
 Profile E-mail  

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2