It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
Message Author
 Post subject: Unable to hear in Skype and Messenger Live
New postPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:58 am 

ACER LAPTOP 5920 32BIT VISTA

Latest Skype & Messenger Live

After installing the latest Live Essentials, problems emerged.

1. In Skype - when calling someone - no sound is heard and unable to hear the other person.
2. In Messenger - same problem.
3. In GMail Video - everything works OK
4. Sound works OK on laptop.
5. Uninstalled Skype; uninstalled Live Messenger
6. Reinstalled Skype - same problem.
7. If a VOIP phone via USB is used, able to hear in Skype.

If anyone has any thoughts - please feel free!

Thank you in advance.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Unable to hear in Skype and Messenger Live
New postPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:08 am 

Check in device manager through control panel - Hardware & Sounds - Device Manager.

and look for sound devices and check for yellow exclamation mark

make sure you are using or have installed the latest sound card driver.

If you are meant to be using Realtek go Here

otherwise go to your manufacturer website and check you have latest sound card driver.

Do you have the 2 speaker icons in system tray and are they muted or active?

miss read the part when you said sound on laptop working :?

you may want uninstall the latest windows live essentials 2011 and revert back to the older one as this has been said to cause issues with skype, unknown issues.

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Thanks given: 47 times
Thanks received: 132 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Unable to hear in Skype and Messenger Live  Topic is solved
New postPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:22 pm 
For this post the author GoodBytes has received thanks - 2: david.navigator, Rich

Ok it's very simple:
First, make sure Skype is completely closed (no Skype icon on the system tray (next to the clock)).

Go to the Start menu, then type in the box: sound, and select Sound item (not Sound Recorder, that is just a basic program to record form your microphone).

A panel like this one will appear:
Attachment:
sound.png

(you may have additional items in the list)

Now right-click on the item that is called Speakers and then select Set As Default Devise, and now right-click again on Speakers and select Set Default communication device. If you don't have one of both of the options, that is OK. It's because it's already set.

What you just did, is tell Windows that you want that normal sound that comes from your computer, comes out to your speakers, and that any communication software that you may use that have sound, for example, Skype, outputs the sound on your speakers.
The idea of this system, is that you can choose what goes where.

Now, go to the Recording tab:
Attachment:
record.PNG

If you have an external webcam with a built-in Microsoft like most web cam does, you should have it's name under Microphone. For example, for mmy case, I don't have a normal Microsoft, but I have my Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 webcam which has a built-in microphone. Notice that under "Microphone", in gray, it says "Pro 9000", which is the model of my web cam. If you don't know, or don't have an external webcam, then simply pick the first Microphone item that you see, it doesn't really mater per say. But usually the external webcams that has an internal microphone are better.
Anyway, just right-click on Microphone, and then select Set as Default Communication Device. That will tell Windows, to use your Microphone for when you use communication related software that uses the Microphone, like Skype.

Now we set the basics. But let's be sure that Skype follows Windows documentation, by checking if Skype follow Windows settings, or it's developers decided to complicate everyone life by doing it's own method.
To do this, open Skype (ninja start trick: Start (windows+key)> type: Skype > Enter)

Ok now in Skype, click on Tools found in the program menu bar, and then select Options. On the left-side column, click on Audio Settings.

Make sure that the Microphone is set to "Microphone", and that speakers are set as "Speakers".
Like so:
Attachment:
Capture.PNG

Now click on Save. And you should be working perfectly.

The above instructions is for Windows Vista and 7.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Thanks given: 2 times
Thanks received: 8 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:14 pm 

Thank you both. I really appreciate your help.

Rich - spot on - I made a mistake in Skype - Tools - Audio - I did not have it set to Speakers and when corrected, the sound returned. Brilliant!

Kind regards to both of you!

Ros

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:18 pm 

I think I made a mistake - to the author Goodbytes - a big thank you again for your help!

Kind regards,

Ros

New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:20 pm 

Glad to hear the problem has been solved. :D

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Thanks given: 2 times
Thanks received: 8 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:21 am 

I just bought a new computer for my wife which uses Windows 7. Sound was OK with everything except use of the built in mic. and speakers when using messenger and skype. After spending a couple of hours searching for a solution, I found your (GoodBytes) post and all is now well.....Many thanks :)

New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks given: 1 times
 Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]