It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
Message Author

Post subject: Two Computers - One Monitor
New postPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:44 pm 

I currently have a 17" laptop. Games don't run very well on it needless to say. I was thinking of getting a desktop for the games, but I don't really want two complete computers. Is there any way that I can use my laptop as a keyboard and monitor for my desktop CPU? If so, what hardware do I need to buy?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Thanks given: 3 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Two Computers - One Monitor
New postPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:34 pm 

I'm really not sure how you'd do that. Did you find out a way to do it yet?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 424 times
Thanks received: 213 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:18 pm 

Actually ther's no way that u can use the laptop monitor as an INPUT device , the laptop VGA/HDMI , is an OUTPUT device only , which from them u can connect an LCD , or a normal TV withe the needed connectors !

if you want to run , everything from your laptop , and even the desktop , ther's something called REMOTE DESKTOP CONNECTION , you will need a network CROSS cable , connection , connected to both ur laptop , and ur desktop ! after putting the right ip adresses on both of them , go to Start/Accessories/Connections/Remote Desktop <== put the ip adress/Name , of the other computer , and connect to it , therefore , you will have 2 computers , running on 1 screen ! ...

READ CAREFULLY BEFORE DOING : in order , to run a normal Remote desktop , without Errors , you should :

1 - right click "my computer" , select remote desktop , and check , allow users to connect through this computer remotely .. <=== this one on the Desktop computer
2 - you should creat an account and put a password for it , otherwise the Remote Desktop connection wont RUN !

Well these are the solutions , so Far , and BE EXTREMELY CAREFULL , a Network CROSS CABLE , is not like the normal one the cross cable , should be different from both side's of the RG's ! , Example : when u connect a computer to a Router/Hub , the cable wire's will be the same from both sides , unlike the cross , they must be different , otherwise they wont ping/connect !

cheer's !

Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Thanks given: 7 times
Thanks received: 25 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:42 pm 

Thanx XxBizxX. I remember reading about the remote desktop and had forgotten about that. I think that will do exactly what I am looking for, although a little more complicated.

Your solution brings up another question. Can I connect the network cable from the desktop to my wireless router and connect the laptop to the router wirelessly? From my limited knowledge, I think that would work. I am currently using the router to connect to my TV tuner (which Best Buy and Circuit City told me couldn't be done!!), ext. harddrive, wireless mouse, and my printer.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Thanks given: 3 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:10 pm 

well your most welcome my friend , yes you can connect them to the Router there would be no problem , but forget about the cross cable , and whatever i said before will be the same about ip adressess etc ... have fun

Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Thanks given: 7 times
Thanks received: 25 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:38 am 

jcterry wrote:
I currently have a 17" laptop. Games don't run very well on it needless to say. I was thinking of getting a desktop for the games, but I don't really want two complete computers. Is there any way that I can use my laptop as a keyboard and monitor for my desktop CPU? If so, what hardware do I need to buy?

Look for SYNERGY
its a freeware program that allows you to control a networked computer using the primary computer's mouse and keyboard. The great thing about the software is that you can network many computers and you can hotkey each computer so that you can, at will select whatever computer you want. and control it.

Established Member
Established Member

Thanks given: 1 times
 Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]