It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
Message Author

Post subject: hp dv6655 vista cant hibernate?
New postPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:27 pm 

:twisted: i have a hp dv6655 running vista and it cant go into hibernate

the screen turns white but the hdd and fan are still running and when i push a button the screen
start and its at the login again

some one how can help me? :twisted:

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Established Member
Established Member

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: hp dv6655 vista cant hibernate?
New postPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:56 am 

lucifer85 wrote:

hope this will help you Here
Here

Contributor
Contributor
Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 121 times
Thanks received: 263 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:44 am 

What does hibernate mode for your laptop do? I just got an hp laptop and I mostly got the hang of it. But I dont know what the hibernate mode does to the computer so ive been shutting it down. Is one better for the computer than the other?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:24 pm 

lucifer85 wrote:

the screen turns white but the hdd and fan are still running and when i push a button the screen
start and its at the login again

Your Problem is pretty easy to solve. A laptop cannot 'hibernate', it can 'sleep'. This is due to the difference between Hibernate and Sleep.

Quote:
Hibernate, or S4 in ACPI, meanwhile will save the data in physical memory to hard disk drive (HDD), and then power off the computer. In Hibernate mode, a file named hiberfil.sys which has the same file size as the amount of system memory will be created on the local disk. When user wants to use the computer again, the computer will boot up and load back the state at the last hibernation. The advantage of Hibernation mode is that no power is wasted for maximum saving of power. In Hibernation dormancy, no electricity is consumed by system. Beside, restore from Hibernate is generally faster than computer reboot, and is totally different from fresh start, as users can return to the exact state of last hibernation with all programs running and documents opened intact, instead of empty desktop. The disadvantage of Hibernate is that after a period of time, there may have fragmentation of file. Users will need to defragment the volume that stores the hibernation file frequently

Quote:
Sleep is commonly known as Standby in Windows system or S3 in ACPI. In Sleep mode, the power supply to non-essential and non-critical component is withheld, and most system operation is shutdown and stopped. All data in physical memory (RAM module) is still kept in internal memory, and whole system is place in stand-by mode, which can be woke up and used almost immediately. In Sleep mode, the power load reduce considerably, saving a lot of energy. However, the power must not be cut off, and must be continue to supply to the computer. Once out of power, the system will have to start again just like a newly boot computer just started from power off state.

Windows Vista has enhanced sleep mode so that on notebook computer, sleeping computer will automatically hibernate when battery power level is low. It also has built-in Hybrid Sleep mode which ensure that system state is preserved when there is power lost.

Hope you got the point.

Source: http://www.mydigitallife.info/what-is-t ... -in-vista/

Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Thanks given: 57 times
Thanks received: 45 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:37 pm 

ashlegha wrote:
What does hibernate mode for your laptop do? I just got an hp laptop and I mostly got the hang of it. But I dont know what the hibernate mode does to the computer so ive been shutting it down. Is one better for the computer than the other?

http://mintywhite.com/windows-7/7mainte ... -shutdown/ :thumbup: :wave:

Contributor
Contributor
Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 121 times
Thanks received: 263 times
 Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]