It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
Message Author
 Post subject: Backup Vista
New postPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:44 pm 

I have to reinstall Vista since something got past my AVG (free) & went to work on
disabling all of AVG + the uninstall, search's for other anti-virus on Google. Even if I
get a program it won't install. Plus many other App's & programs to make my life
miserable. :thumbdown: I'm looking for a list possibly containing "all" I can backup
to disc to make it easier when I want to restore after I reinstall Vista & scan it a few
times.
I know i'm asking a lot but you don't know if ya don't ask! :thumbup:
Thanks

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Thanks given: 4 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Backup Vista
New postPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:39 am 

If you're infected with Malicious software and want to reinstall Vista, you will not want to backup any of the OS files.
Be sure to back up your personal data (docs, music, vids etc.) as these will likely not be infected.
If you have iTunes, de-authorize your account.
If you have software that requires a key (Office, Adobe products etc.) make sure you have them noted before reinstalling.
Open up the Control Panel > Uninstall Programs & make a note (or take a screenshot) of your installed software - just to make it easier to remember what was on the system.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 375 times
Thanks received: 441 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:49 pm 

Hi Stu I had a feeling this was going to be a pain. Third time now i've had to backup
& reinstall since I bought it. So basically just back-up programs & other things I put on
the system but stay away from OS files? Last time I had to re-install SP-1 & 2 I had a
hard time finding files that had no viruses & such. If lucky I may be able to get what I
need here!
Thanks

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:15 pm 

I wouldn't recommend keeping program files.
Aside from your personal data, wipe the lot! (you could look in %appdata% & %programdata% to see if there're any program settings you wish to keep)
May i suggest - as this is the 3rd time, switching your AV solution. MSEis very highly rated around here.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 375 times
Thanks received: 441 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:17 pm 
For this post the author Rick has received gratitude : acura234

acura234 wrote:
Hi Stu I had a feeling this was going to be a pain. Third time now i've had to backup
& reinstall since I bought it. So basically just back-up programs & other things I put on
the system but stay away from OS files? Last time I had to re-install SP-1 & 2 I had a
hard time finding files that had no viruses & such. If lucky I may be able to get what I
need here!
Thanks

You clearly do not need OS Files they are useless to you but backing up your personal data, downloaded files, documents, etc... are more important. Malicious/Infected system are/is hiding somewhere in your OS Files, and it may be executed in the background without your knowledge.

However, it leads me to think that your using None-Genuine copy of the files?

When you said this: "I had a hard time finding files that had no viruses & such."

Why are you finding the updates when you can update it through MS? They are Genuine when updating using their update features.

Pardon my assumption but that line right there seems odd because MS do not contain malware of any kinds except that the updates can be buggy at times... buggy doesn't mean malware...

Emmmm....

Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 33 times
Thanks received: 137 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:26 pm 

Yep ! & In easy word Just Copy Your User Folder :p

Contributor
Contributor
Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 121 times
Thanks received: 263 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:08 pm 
For this post the author Rick has received thanks - 2: acura234, Stu

UVAIS wrote:
Yep ! & In easy word Just Copy Your User Folder :p

Negative.. this could be problematic after the user reinstalls windows can have an advert effect on the fresh install. I used to run 300+ computers and have worked with moving the users contents in the past, many times it works if the OS didn't change, like programs, etc... many programs are installed and has registry strings that can have a problem later. This is ok on the MAC because it doesn't have a Registry system.

Just a short and broad opinion...

Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 33 times
Thanks received: 137 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:23 am 

Hi Rick I never got back to comment on " Why are you finding the updates when you can update it through MS? They are Genuine when updating using their update features. "
I was referring to Vista SP1 & SP2. I had no problem getting SP2 32bit from Microsoft.
Problem was finding SP1 32bit.

Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:01 am 

Just plugged my PlayBook in to my laptop to sync - so it started a backup, which I let it progress.

However, my laptop (almost 3-years old) is shaky at best (possibly an issue with the CMOS battery or Flash player - not really relevant...) and appears to have switched itself off part way through the backup.

I've recovered things so that my PlayBook and laptop are talking again (another backup...) but as my laptop disk only has around 17Gb at best left available, I kinda feel the need to try and lose the backup that failed.

Anyone please know:
- If this is possible/feasible/a really dumb idea;
- Where Vista stored the PlayBook back files; and
- How I delete the failed backup without corrupting BB Desktop or any other legitimate backup?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks given: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]