It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
Message Author

Post subject: networking
New postPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:11 pm 

I recently purchased a Belkin N router and I think my HP S3000y Pavillion has a G card installed inside my computer and it takes forever to log on to it or do anything at all with it.....Do I need to install an N network card instead of the G card? (no geek status here) I have ethernet cable for it thinking a direct line would help.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Established Member
Established Member

Thanks given: 1 times
Thanks received: 1 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: networking  Topic is solved
New postPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:26 pm 
For this post the author bassfisher6522 has received gratitude : Rich

Yes and No...it's backwards compatible. It will run at G speed, which has a maximum of 54 mbps which you'll never see except in a perfect world. I would recommend getting an N usb adapter (150 to 300 mbps), your speed will double easily. There are two other possibilities for your slow connecting. Outside interference...ie cordless phones, microwaves and any other household device that is mobile. They all use the 2.4 htz the same as the router; the other is the distance between PC and router and how many walls the radio wave has to penetrate for it to pick up the signal. A work around you can try is to change the channel that your router is broad casting on. Not sure what the default is on Belkin. Personally, if the router was very close to the PC, I would use the Ethernet cable, and depending on the port speeds of the router you would either get 10/100 or 10/100/1000 (gigabit). Almost all modern routers are coming with gigabit ports.

Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member

Thanks given: 7 times
Thanks received: 6 times
 Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]