It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
Message Author

Post subject: Dual Boot Acer 5920 Laptop with Vista and Windows7 problem
New postPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:24 pm 

Hello Folks,
I have an Acer Aspire 5920 Laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 2. However, I was thinking of loading Windows 7 and making the laptop ‘Dual Bootable’.
I understand that Windows 7 is best loaded onto it’s own partition, and this is where the problem arises.
My laptop came with a 250GB SATA HDD, which I have upgraded to a Samsung 640GB SATA HDD by making an image using Macrium Reflect. This process went without a hitch. I also used the same method to upgrade my wife’s Compaq laptop to a similar 640 GB hard drive.
My problem is related to the structure on the hard disc, as supplied by Acer, in that it was set up with four partitions. I understand four is the maximum number of ’Basic Partitions’ that can be accommodated on a Single Hard Drive. The Drive allocation is as follows:-
Partition 1 (no Drive letter assigned) EISA Configuration (with a capacity of 10.74 GB) (The was the Original Capacity of this partition)
Partition 2 (Drive C: assigned) ACER (now with a capacity of 150.19 GB) (which I was able to extend)
Partition 3 (Drive D: assigned) DATA (now with a capacity of 432.04 GB) (which I was able to extend)
Partition 4 (no Drive letter assigned) EISA Configuration (with a capacity of 3.25 GB) (The was the Original Capacity of this partition)
I assume that Partition 1 is the Recovery Partition and that Partition 4 may have something to do with the Drivers.
I was thinking of relying on a Disc Image for Back-up and Restoration purposes, rather than the Recovery Partition. Surely, if a hard drive fails the Recovery Partition would be useless. An up-to-date Disc Image would be better.
Format the Laptop hard drive, and create four partitions with a larger Partition 4 say around 20 GB, for Windows7, by reducing Partition 3.
Copy the Images of Drive C: to Partition 2 and Drive D: to Partition 3.
Then Load Windows7 onto partition 4.
I am not sure if this would work, but if everything did work out, I would then make another Disc Image of the new layout with Vista on Partition 2, as it is at present, and the new installation of Windows7 on Partition 4.
Otherwise I could Format the Hard Drive, and create four partitions with 100 GB Partitions in positions 1, 2 and 4.
Reload Drive C: and D: into Partitions 2 and 3 then load Windows 7 to Partition 1
Make an image of the new layout
Any Help would be appreciated

Brian Walker
www.danceunlimited.org.uk

Years of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dual Boot Acer 5920 Laptop with Vista and Windows7 problem
New postPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:45 pm 
For this post the author darko has received gratitude : XxBizxX

You need only one boot(system) primary partition for booting Windows 7 and Vista.

You could partition your drive with 3 primary partitions:
1) recovery ? (10.74 GB)
2) drivers ? (3,25 GB)
3) boot(system) - should be minimum 100 MB, "good" size would be 300-400 MB.
This partition must be primary and active !

and an extended with many logical partitions inside for
1) Windows 7 (at least 60 GB)
2) Vista (at least 60 GB)
3), 4) .... partitions for whatever you like.

I would backup everything.
Then format and partition disk.
Then restore from backup partitions for "recovery, drivers, vista, Windows 7"

Then run Windows 7 StartUp repair - up to 3 consecutive times.
Now you would have a bootable Windows 7.

Then add Vista to boot configuration using bcdedit or a BCD GUI utility.
Then add "recovery" partition to boot menu. (You have to examine how it is booted before you start the whole exercise - display BCD contents and understand it !)

The "drivers" (?) partition is like a container - no need to boot from it just assign a drive letter to it.

I would suggest Visual BCD Editor (http://boyans.net) as a GUI alternative for bcdedit.

If any questions or uncertainities - don't hesitate to ask, the exercise is not trivial.

Note:
The system(boot) partition can be also the Vista or Windows 7 partition. Just when Windows 7 installs on empty disk it creates this "SystemReserved" partition and a separate primary for itself. The SytemReserved has its pros and cons....but it is the only really primary partition you need, all other partitions could be logical.

Years of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 1 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dual Boot Acer 5920 Laptop with Vista and Windows7 problem
New postPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:24 am 

Quote:
You need only one boot(system) primary partition for booting Windows 7 and Vista.

You could partition your drive with 3 primary partitions:
1) recovery ? (10.74 GB)
2) drivers ? (3,25 GB)
3) boot(system) - should be minimum 100 MB, "good" size would be 300-400 MB.
This partition must be primary and active !

and an extended with many logical partitions inside for
1) Windows 7 (at least 60 GB)
2) Vista (at least 60 GB)
3), 4) .... partitions for whatever you like.

I would backup everything.
Then format and partition disk.
Then restore from backup partitions for "recovery, drivers, vista, Windows 7"

Then run Windows 7 StartUp repair - up to 3 consecutive times.
Now you would have a bootable Windows 7.

Then add Vista to boot configuration using bcdedit or a BCD GUI utility.
Then add "recovery" partition to boot menu. (You have to examine how it is booted before you start the whole exercise - display BCD contents and understand it !)

The "drivers" (?) partition is like a container - no need to boot from it just assign a drive letter to it.

I would suggest Visual BCD Editor (http://boyans.net) as a GUI alternative for bcdedit.

If any questions or uncertainities - don't hesitate to ask, the exercise is not trivial.

Note:
The system(boot) partition can be also the Vista or Windows 7 partition. Just when Windows 7 installs on empty disk it creates this "SystemReserved" partition and a separate primary for itself. The SytemReserved has its pros and cons....but it is the only really primary partition you need, all other partitions could be logical.

i 2nd that , well said and done

Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Thanks given: 7 times
Thanks received: 25 times
 Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]