It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
Message Author

Post subject: Speed up a slow PC: Part 1 - Disable Startup Objects
New postPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:38 pm 

Disclaimer: Users do this at their own risk, and will not hold this user or this forum liable for anything that goes wrong during the optimization.

-Disable Windows Startup Programs
The first thing I always do, is identify which programs I have on my machine that are running in the background when Windows boots. If your PC takes longer than a few minutes to load (I define 'load' as ready to work with it), then there is a VERY good chance you have programs starting in the background that simply don't need to be!
How To Disable Windows Startup Programs

The first thing you need to do is find your version of Window's Run command. In XP, simply click on "Start" and then you should see the "Run" command in the right column at the bottom.

Once you have the Run command open, type "msconfig" and click the OK button. You will now see the "System Configuration Utility" appear. In the next section, we will show you how to use this utility to turn off programs running in the background.
Using The System Configuration Utility

Once opened, make sure you click the "Startup" tab on the far right. What you will see next is a list of all of the programs currently running on your system. Notice I already have quite a few things unchecked like Napster and AOL Software.

Keep in mind that just because you uncheck these programs so they won't run at Windows Startup, that it doesn't mean you are uninstalling them. You can still run these programs at any time by clicking on their desktop icon or other shortcut you have in your program menu.

Deciding What To Uncheck

This is one of the most common questions I get asked. People simply want to know how to tell which ones they can safely uncheck.

Many of the programs are obvious. Here is a small list of items you can safely uncheck:

1. Anything that says AOL can be safely unchecked. This is America Online software.
2. "qttask" can be safely unchecked. This is a utility for the program Quick Time.
3. "realsched" can be safely unchecked. This is associated with the Real Player program.
4. "Microsoft Office" can be safely unchecked. This one is obvious!
5. *Anything related to chat programs such as Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger and the like can be safely unchecked.

*These chat programs are the absolute worst at slowing your PC to a crawl, and disabling these alone will speed up your boot substantially!

Search For Your Remaining System Process Definitions

After I disable the obvious ones, I then go to Google and perform a search query for each remaining one on the list. There are a ton of sites that will inform you what each running process is, and if you can safely disable it.

As an example, you may see "ccApp" on the list. Go to Google and search for "ccApp" and the top two or three sites should have information relating to that process.

In this case it was a process belonging to my anti-virus software Norton, thus I left it checked as I want this to run at Windows boot.

Once you have everything you wish disabled, simply click OK and you will be notified via a Windows alert prompt that your system needs to be restarted.

* Google Search Engine
Use Google To Search For System Process Definitions

System Configuration Utility Reboot Screen
System Configuration Utility Reboot Screen
System Reboot - The Final Step

Once the system reboots, you will get a prompt informing you that you are now in "selective startup". That just means you have selected what items you want to start at Windows boot, this is not an error message.

Just click to checkmark the checkbox that says, "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start:", and click the OK button.

That's It! You should now experience a HUGE increase in boot up and shutdown times.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Speed up a slow PC: Part 1 - Disable Startup Objects
New postPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:43 pm 

This is a good guide - I'm not too good with computers, but this is easy to follow!

New postPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:53 pm 

Thanks, I try to make things as simple as I can for the user to follow, so it makes it easy whether or not your a beginner at computers, or your an expert.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:44 pm 

I did this and my computer works a lot fasterr thanks

New postPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:31 pm 

Jatex wrote:
Just click to checkmark the checkbox that says, "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start:", and click the OK button.

Even after checking the checkbox, the System Configuration Utility box still pops up after every reboot. Is there something in the registry that I can change to stop the System Configuration Utility box from appearing on each boot ?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]