It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Message Author
 Post subject: Boot problems.
New postPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:35 am 

Hi again. I am now missing a file nessecary to boot my computer. I can run the cpu but only on a different hard drive. Help.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Established Member
Established Member

Thanks given: 2 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Boot problems.
New postPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:56 pm 

Hi masterman :)

Could you please elaborate a little on your issue. To me thus far it makes no sense.

Thanks

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 375 times
Thanks received: 441 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:55 pm 

Okay, during boot, I have a message come up that says " <windows root>\system 32\ hal.dll Above file missing please reinstall.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Established Member
Established Member

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:38 pm 

If you have the original install media. Try a repair install (if XP does that). If not, it sounds like it may be a case of booting into the command prompt and manually copying the file in.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:17 am 

That's just it. I don't have the XP discs.

Established Member
Established Member

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:31 am 

That doesn't bode well..... i don't really know too much about XP's installation process so i can't be of any further assistance. Hopefully someone else will be along soon. Though without installation media, it really doesn't look good.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:34 pm 

I had to fix this problem on my in-laws computer... not to put you off, but it really sucks. I will get into the nitty gritty when I have time to find all the resources again, but here is the gist of what I had to do to fix it:
  • Boot from the XP Install CDs.
  • Cut off a 5GB partition at the end of the drive.
  • Install a new iteration of XP on this partition.
  • Enable hidden file view, go to your other C: drive, and find the hidden system restore point folders.
  • Copy the registry & system restore files from the restore point to the Windows folder.
  • Reboot in safe mode to the broken Windows. It should boot.
  • Restore using that restore point.
  • Reboot in normal mode. Windows should work now. I had to put in the license code and re-register for it to work.

Theoretically, this should work if you install Linux on a cut-off partition as well, since all you're doing in there is copying & pasting. Ubuntuwould do a great job, and it finds all of your drivers for you at startup (something XP sucks at). This way you could be browsing the web for help while you attempt this. I'll try to find the Microsoft Support Article I used to help me through this.

Just out of curiosity, what led to this problem?

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Thanks given: 9 times
Thanks received: 100 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:23 pm 

I was trying to dual boot my computer with windows xp, original os on the computer, and Linux.

Established Member
Established Member

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Boot problems.  Topic is solved
New postPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:35 pm 
For this post the author Mike has received gratitude : masterman

Yeah... sounds like a partition problem. Resizing a partition in XP can be a big problem. I was using EASUS partition master when it happened to me.

Here is the Microsoft support article: Recovery from corrupted registry. Make sure you read the warnings at the top (you could make things worse, as if not booting wasn't bad enough), and instead of copying the files in the command prompt at the recovery console, you can use Linux to find and copy & paste there. Let me know if this helps you fix it. It worked like magic for me. Good luck!

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Thanks given: 9 times
Thanks received: 100 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:07 am 

Can you properly explain what's the problem whenever this type of problem happens with you will not be able to get K:\ to be C:\ without a fresh install.i would remove the old C:\, reinstall to the new drive to make that one C:\ at that point you could put the old drive back into the system if you choose.

New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks given: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next