It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Message Author

Post subject: Win2Flash, pendrive,laptop manual OS install?
New postPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:09 pm 

Used Win2Flash 0.7 beta to get XP files to flash drive

Had trouble booting got hal.dll error
installed file from cd still won't boot

Copied windows files from Windows CD fine and put on laptop
basic instructions: http://www.winxptutor.com/expand.htm

It will boot off the Win2Flash USB and I had installed it to the hard drive of the laptop in text and gui mode of the setup, but it requires the Flash drive in. Any suggestions on how to manually install WinXP to a laptop harddrive with a flashdrive?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Thanks given: 2 times
Thanks received: 2 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Win2Flash, pendrive,laptop manual OS install?
New postPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:12 pm 
For this post the author ha14 has received gratitude : rico

I think is the video driver problem?

this can help you possibly
http://www.ehow.com/how_4886413_replace ... drive.html
http://komku.blogspot.com/2008/11/insta ... mentPage=2

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Thanks given: 3 times
Thanks received: 51 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:47 pm 

ha14 wrote:

Thank you, that second one looks like it helps alot. It probably wasn't a video problem because I was able to boot up into WinXP SP3 after installed, but it required the flash drive. I don't want to go through the BartPE, etc. Steps, but that gives me a clearer Idea of how it works and the files its copying. I'll try a chkdsk /r and then I'll try the BartPE that you, mentioned above... Thank you much!

[Update on Progress] Using the Win2Flashed XP usb stick I found out after running text mode the first run to edit the laptop drive, it made the usb stick unbootable HA, I may have to follow those instructions!
It also makes sense to set USB Install stick as primary, and device installing to as secondary

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:55 pm 

@ rico :)

Pleas see Rich's article :) Here
its easiest way to install Windows or any Os from Pen-drive(USB) without any third party Software :ugeek:

Contributor
Contributor
Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 121 times
Thanks received: 263 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:33 pm 

Says "Remove disks or other media."
"Press any key to restart"
Used a Windows XP OEM CD dragged to flashdrive
disable antivirus gaurd when it blocked Autorun.inf

Could I use freedos for a boot enviroment?

Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:50 pm 

Ok. I noticed, from what I remember doing, when I tried the Win2flash again and ran the text portion of setup Windows couldn't read the partition.
Popped in Ultimate Boot disc for USB (Linux),
Ultimate boot disc to USB
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/install-an ... sb-device/

I think I used Parted Magic
just used a tool from the disc like Erase Disc to Erase the drive
I then followed: http://komku.blogspot.com/2008/11/insta ... mentPage=2

as suggested
Got it to boot up to Windows XP, it seemed to boot off the USB partially
Got the old hal.dll error above or other errors.

#REINSTALLED XP from this state: Decided to copy the I386 directory to the big drive and ran winnt.exe from to setup WINDOWS:
Replaced the Windows Install USB with a syslinux mbr'ed PuppyLinux FAT USB to put the hal.dll file back. decided to look at
Also somewhere during that time I was asked for the
OEM CD Key;
Looked in unattend.txt in I386 folder but instead fount it in the winnt.sif file in that directory
Also decided to check boot.ini and changed rdisk(1) to (0) or visa versa...
Now it boots up and freezes and I can get to the safemode login screen also, NO usb stick needed, still trying... LOL
Whatever, prabably try tomorrow. :lol:

Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Win2Flash, pendrive,laptop manual OS install?  Topic is solved
New postPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:03 pm 

UPDATE:
I rebooted/hard reboot from the safe mode user login screen.
XP booted
Now the drivers are on another CD.... :shock:
FURTHER UPDATE: That didn't work so after I reinstalled and got to the First XP first boot with the mouse working I installed some of the drivers from the application CD that also had an important windows update. I did not restart untill all the updates I wanted were done. I did not install HP Doc Viewer or Dot NET
I also created a restore point and shut down explorer.exe and logged off and on before I restarted so it would reload the registry. This problem is solved. I did not replace hal.dll

Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:46 am 

How can i play movie with dat file through pen drive to L.G home theater which is not support dat file.? I have copied movie from CD to my PC and then copied to pen drive. Home theater is not reading (usb facilities present) the movie. Then tried to convert in AVI file as wel as JPEG file.Still not reading. Any one can help me how to run any movie through pen drive to home theater's USB.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:31 pm 

mangeda wrote:
How can i play movie with dat file through pen drive to L.G home theater which is not support dat file.? I have copied movie from CD to my PC and then copied to pen drive. Home theater is not reading (usb facilities present) the movie. Then tried to convert in AVI file as wel as JPEG file.Still not reading. Any one can help me how to run any movie through pen drive to home theater's USB.

Convert .dat file to .avi or mpeg5

Contributor
Contributor
Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 121 times
Thanks received: 263 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:59 am 

UVAIS wrote:
mangeda wrote:

Convert .dat file to .avi or mpeg5

What .dat file? Why mpeg5? How would he convert the phantom .dat file into mpeg5 anyway?

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 375 times
Thanks received: 441 times
 Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next