It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
Message Author

Post subject: Gom player
New postPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:07 am 

I am not able to play mkv files on my PC. I tried using VLC, media player and GOM player. what shud i do? While using VLC and GOM players, the file opens but then it hangs there. I even downloaded the codec.But i still cannot play mkv files.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Gom player
New postPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:26 pm 

ekuyara wrote:
I am not able to play mkv files on my PC. I tried using VLC, media player and GOM player. what shud i do? While using VLC and GOM players, the file opens but then it hangs there. I even downloaded the codec.But i still cannot play mkv files.

Hi, ekuyara! mkv files are actually Matroska audio/video files. So, you actually need the Matroska Splitter which is a DirectShow splitter for Matroska video files. The only problem is that you will also need the proper codecs such as Xvid or DivX, etc.

I had the same problem as you did except my problem was that I was wanting to convert MPEG2 videos to WMV format. I found out that I needed the Haali splitter and ffdshow. I found that k-lite codec pack was very compatible with WindowsXP. I use the k-lite full codecs pack which is a free download. It also comes with Media Player Classic which will play your mkv files.

I found that I didn't need to download Media Player Classic, however, in order to play mkv files like DivX or Xvid because the k-lite codec pack comes with all those codecs. There's an option within the K-lite codec pack to make Windows Media Player the default player and that's what I chose to do. I can play AVI, DivX, Xvid, FLV, etc. with Windows Media Player.

I can also play mkv files with the VLC Player and I believe that's because of the k-lite full codec pack. Here's the link to the k-lite codec pack and it gives details of all the codec, filters and splitters that are included in the codec pack:

http://www.codecguide.com/features_full.htm

I've had no disappointments in using the k-lite codec pack. I make a lot of videos and I love the fact that I can convert the MPEG2 videos in Windows Movie Maker thanks to the k-lite codec pack.

Contributor
Contributor
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member

Thanks given: 43 times
Thanks received: 33 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:56 pm 
For this post the author Mike has received gratitude : Ang087

That's weird... you should have been able to play MKVs in VLC Player...

Anyways, you don't technically need a new codec to play an MKV - it's composed of two different files, one for video and one for audio, both of which natively play in Windows under Media Player. However, when they are packaged into an MKV it is no longer supported. You should do a Google search for Haali Splitter, it's what I use to play MKV files. It effectively separates the video and audio streams and plays them simultaneously through Windows Media Player. It works great, and you don't need a new media player!

Last edited by Mike on Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Thanks given: 9 times
Thanks received: 100 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:58 pm 

Mike, you're probably right. I mentioned that I could also play mkv files using the VLC Player. For some reason, I just thought that the k-lite codec pack had something to do with that. But come to think of it, I was already able to play mkv files with the VLC player before I ever downloaded the k-lite codec pack.

Glad to hear that the Google Haali splitter also works. I mainly downloaded the k-lite codec pack where I could also play mkv files using Windows Media Player. I had also wanted to be able to convert my videos from MPEG 2 format to WMV format using Windows Movie Maker and I couldn't do that until I downloaded the K-lite codec pack. It added the ffdshow video and ffdshow audio to Windows Movie Maker.

I also couldn't play or watch DVDs in Windows Media Player but k-lite codec pack didn't help with that. This happened about 2 or 3 years ago. I could play and watch DVDs but then I suddenly couldn't. I kept receiving a pop-up about the resolution. It actually happened when I had Vista. I found out that somehow an automatic update deleted my DVD decoder. I went online and found the Roxio DVD decoder for Windows Media Player. I also had to get the Roxio DVD decoder when I had to reformat my laptop back to XP. Anyway, I mainly use Windows Media Player.

Oh, and I almost forgot. I also have to use the Sonic Cinemaster (Roxio) video and audio decoders along with ffdshow video and audio when I convert my MEPEG 2 videos using Windows Movie Maker. I'm not sure why but it does work.

Contributor
Contributor
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:12 pm 

Oh sorry... I should edit my last post (update... I did). It's not "Google Haali Splitter" (noun), I meant "Google" (verb, for search) "Haali Splitter." Haha I can see how confusing that was now! It sounded right in my head...

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Thanks given: 9 times
Thanks received: 100 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:30 pm 

LOL! Sorry! It's my bad, too! I kept thinking when did Google make a Haali Splitter! :lol:

Contributor
Contributor
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:15 pm 

MKV is a file extension used for the Matroska file format for video, audio, or picture storage.Playing MKV files on VLC is your best choice. VLC Player is an open source stand alone video player that is free to download and use. Playing MKV files on VLC is simple. The quickest way to open the MKV file is to simply double click on it. If VLC has been installed properly and the MK. VLC will open automatically and load the file.

New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]