It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
Message Author

Post subject: External USB hard drive issues
New postPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:38 am 

My OS is Win xp, sp3, home ed., Toshiba USB external hard drive
I have a Toshiba 320 GB USB external hard drive which has been performing very well until lately. Because of the symptoms, I suspect the problems are coming from Win Explorer or the computer rather than the Toshiba drive.
Among the issues, the Toshiba runs almost all the time in "Autoplay" and an autoplay box comes up for me to choose what to do with the drive, so I always choose "take no action". Then the Toshiba sits still for a while but sometimes I can not get into it to save or change things so It's quite risky to continue using it as a back up/storage device.
There isn't much more to say here except to ask if anyone can shed some light on what Win Explorer can do to make using the Toshiba device more reliable. I have gone into Win Exp. and selected "default" settings where possible but have no clear idea why Win Explorer or whatever is not able to operate the Toshiba device in a more predictable and reliable way.
Thanks for your feedback and help in this matter,
Jim :D

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: External USB hard drive issues
New postPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:46 pm 

First of all, I never use "Auto Play" as you can access it easily and quickly with the use of Win key + E to open the storage drive and other contents.

You can try the "Reset All Defaults" and you can select methods to "Ask Me Every Time" this way, it will ask you what to do with a pop up menu, giving you selections.

But remember, every time you select, "Take No Actions." It's going to use the "Take No Actions" after several times. I don't know why people even bother using that Auto Play Function in the first place due to the level of hazardous that USB can be, but knowing it's your own, I can fathom to a degree.

Let us know the end results, but placing the "Choose a default" dimmed letters in the selections won't do squats until you command it to do exactly what you want it to do...

Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 33 times
Thanks received: 137 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:24 pm 

Rick wrote:
First of all, I never use "Auto Play" as you can access it easily and quickly with the use of Win key + E to open the storage drive and other contents.

You can try the "Reset All Defaults" and you can select methods to "Ask Me Every Time" this way, it will ask you what to do with a pop up menu, giving you selections.

But remember, every time you select, "Take No Actions." It's going to use the "Take No Actions" after several times. I don't know why people even bother using that Auto Play Function in the first place due to the level of hazardous that USB can be, but knowing it's your own, I can fathom to a degree.

Let us know the end results, but placing the "Choose a default" dimmed letters in the selections won't do squats until you command it to do exactly what you want it to do...

Not sure why the computer sees the Toshiba as a CD and thus starts up Auto-play automatically. All I can do with the Auto-play box is stop it or choose "No action". Not sure what else to do as I can not go into the Toshiba drive at that point - it is turning on and off rapidly! After several minutes (10-15) the Toshiba "settles down" and I can open it, go to Properties>Auto-play and choose Defaults & "Ask me". I just did that (again), disconnected Toshiba, re-connected it and now it's doing the same thing: turning on and off, not showing in the Win. Explorer window and an item: Removable Disk (J:) is there instead!?! I did not re-start computer to save time - does that effect my Restore Defaults choice in Auto-play? Maybe I'll Restart and go from there. Thanks for you quick response. Jim

Later on.........
Restarted computer, Toshiba drive did it's usual "on and off" thing but not the Auto-play thing this time then Toshiba settled down sooner than usual and can be worked with normally. Not sure what "Removable Disk J" is under Win. Expl. window? Disk J>Properties menu does not list it - only the main drive and other know items there. If the Toshiba can be counted on, I'm happy even if it's acting strangely.
Jim

....Meanwhile, I ran several scanning apps. to examine the Toshiba HD and they all show it as OK, so it must be some issues within my computer........any thoughts???
Jim

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:49 pm 

Sounds like you may have a couple problems, possibly related (notice I didn't say 'probably').
Not sure why the HD shows up as a CD yet, but the HD turning 'off and on' sounds like a power management problem to me.

A few simple things to try (which you may have tried already):
I will assume that you don't have the HD on a 16' USB cord.
Check results after each step.
1) Unplug all USB devices except the HD and possibly the mouse.
2) Start - Control Panel - Power Settings. Select 'Always On' from the drop-down menu. Change all power settings to 'Never'. Click 'Apply'. Click 'OK'.
3) Try a different USB cord. Borrow, buy, beg! :)
4) Try a different USB port.
5) Try the external HD using a USB 'powered' hub. Borrow, buy, beg! :)
6) Try it in Safe Mode. If it works there, you have a program/driver conflict somewhere.

Here are 2 more solutions: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;895962

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Thanks received: 1 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:49 am 

sirpaul2
Thanks for the Power management tip. I went there and selected the Powere options you mention. Before I read your post, I was given a tip at another forum about using an App. called NoSleep Tool which is designed to keep the external drive from stopping in case it has built in, random "sleep" instructions. I installed the app and the Toshiba seems to be working correctly and reliably but I set up your power options also "just in case". The way Toshiba was acting before seemed like a power on/off thing but I didn't know about Power management until now. I was pretty sure it was not a connections or wire issue. I have two new USB wires and 6 USB ports which I tested several times. Never did take the Toshiba drive out to another computer for a test but I never believed the Toshiba drive was bad either. It seems to be working correctly now, no longer blinks on and off, shows up in the Win. Explorer list and I am using it in a normal way - like it was at the beginning.
Thank you for helping me out here,
Jim :D

New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: New External USB hard drive issue.
New postPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:01 pm 

Hi Everyone,
Overnight, it seems, some of my files and folders cannot be seen on a fairly new usb stick. Cleaned by MS Security Essentials, same problem. I know the folders and files are there, by using the search USB facility on a computer with windows 7. Why cant I see them anymore?
Cheers anyone,
Mark.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Thanks given: 22 times
 Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]