It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Message Author
 Post subject: [Solved]What is ghost image ?
New postPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:27 pm 

hey friends i want to know what is ghost image of windows :)

can anyone tell me how to make a windows seven ghost image ?

Last edited by UVAIS on Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Contributor
Contributor
Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 121 times
Thanks received: 263 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: what is ghost image???????
New postPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:01 am 

A ghost image is an image made of an operating system like Windows after it is installed in your harddrive. After you have installed windows, all the drivers and other programs like antivirus and such, you can make an image or copy so that if something happens later on you can just clone the image again instead of reformatting.

Symanted has a program called Norton Ghost wich specializes in disk cloning. GHOST stands for the following: General Hardware-Oriented System Transfer. Ghost was developed in 1995 and it was acquired by Symantec in 1998. I think if you paid for your license it is legal to make ghost copies of it in case of emergencies.

I would say that you do not need a third party software package to make a ghost image of windows 7 because when you installed it you made a copy of your system image to dvds or to a network/usb drive. Didn't you? There are a few third party companies that make paid software for this like Symantec, Acronis, PowerQuest, etc. There are also a few freeware options to accomplish the same thing. DriveImage XML and Carbon Copy Cloner are two of them. Hope that helps.

New postPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:07 pm 

Mandu wrote:
all the drivers and other programs like antivirus and such, you can make an image or copy so that if something happens later on you can just clone the image again instead of reformatting.

i'ev ng15 :mrgreen: can you pleas tell me how to make a ghost image of windows with my all soft & driver????? :geek:

Contributor
Contributor
Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:31 pm 

Before trying to do an image make sure that your system has all the drivers, and software you want on it. Make sure you are free of viruses and any problems with your system.

Have you used Linux before? Do you have a linux live cd like ubuntu? This process will not cost anything just the download of the live cd if you do not have it.

Link: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19446/make-a-drive-image-using-an-ubuntu-live-cd/

Another link:

http://download.cnet.com/DriveImage-XML/3000-2242_4-10443230.html

New postPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:18 am 

@ mandu

Well!!!!! i want to make a windows 7 Ghost(bootable) disk image using "Norton Ghost"

Do you know how to make a boot-able disk of win 7 using NG or other software??????

Contributor
Contributor
Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:51 am 

Surely when you purchased Norton Ghost it came with documentation? Maybe try consulting that?

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 375 times
Thanks received: 441 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:39 pm 

@ RSVR85 ;)

Thanks bro :) i m finding my answer in user's Guide

Contributor
Contributor
Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:37 pm 

I am glad you are finding your answers from the user's guide. Here is a quick version of making an image:

Open the Norton Ghost program by double-clicking on its desktop icon. Find the "Norton Ghost" heading at the upper-left side of the screen. Click on the "Ghost Basic" button underneath the heading or instead press the "Ctrl" and "B" buttons to navigate to the basic features menu screen.
Click on the "Tasks" button and then select the "Disc Image" option. Scroll down through the list of available disc image types you can create, such as a CD or USB drive. Decide which type of device you want to use and insert the device into the corresponding port on your computer. Click on the name of the device you are using and then click on the "Next" button.
Scroll down through the list of drives connected to your computer that will appear in the window. Locate the specific hard drive that you want to copy for a disc image. Click on the check box next to the drive and then click on "Next."
Click on the "Browse" button and then find the location of the USB drive, CD drive, or DVD drive where your blank disc is stored on the computer. Click on the drive letter corresponding to the disc drive, such as "E:\" if your DVD drive is labeled as "E." Click on the "Next" button again.

Finishing the Disc Image Creation
Click on the slider bar and drag the slider to towards the "Fast" button if you want the disc image to be created at the fastest possible speed. Drag the slider towards the "Slow" button if you want the disc image to be compressed into a smaller file size, which will increase the amount of time it takes to create the image. Click on "Create Disc Image" button to save the disc image to the blank device.

New postPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:16 am 

@ Mandu

If you copy and paste from other sites, please cite your source.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5056822_make-di ... ghost.html

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 375 times
Thanks received: 441 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:55 am 

actually the tool built-in windows 7 can do the image. however, if you are a home user you can consider using free third party software in the market. they are more powerful than windows 7.
for free image software, i can recommend one todo backup.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail