It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
Message Author

Post subject: Cloud Backup
New postPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:39 pm 

Anyone has any good experience with "Cloud Backup" (Cloud Storage?).

I thought of Carbonite but seems a tad strict with devices and keys when using multiple system to back up on different machines using 1 account.

The key feature is flexibility accessing my account, and adding multiple devices without strict use of keys to have multiple systems access and upload... i.e. my Droid, My laptop, Desktop, and Tablet...

Give me some thoughts

Thanks

Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 33 times
Thanks received: 137 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Cloud Backup
New postPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:35 pm 

You might want to ask Rich - I know he's used Mozy before.

Personally, I use Dropbox and save everything in there for easy access. I don't know if I would call it "backup", but it's free and convenient. 2GB for free. All my big files, pictures, movies, stay on a RAID at home. Only documents and other "need to be portable" files go in the Dropbox.

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Thanks given: 9 times
Thanks received: 100 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:22 pm 

Thanks Mike. I agree with you. I was wanted to see what others has experienced.

I checked SugarSync and Carbonite, both have their tradeoffs.

SugarSync can sync multiple systems but have limited purchase storage, but Carbonite has unlimited space but can only sync a single system, if you use it on another, you must transfer the key.

What's worst, I tested the Carbonite, it tried to back up: AppData my computer name and All Users!! HUH? Ridiculous. I had this set as MANUAL, and want to create a folder like you can do with DropBox and drop the files there and it uploads on command.

Dropbox, I'm not sure if it uses TTL (SSL)? I like my stuff encrypted. I have my personal documents I use for simple and easy access. I like to leave it on the cloud for many reasons like multiple device access and read as well as possibly write for updating the document, etc... I could with Google Doc easily but with the recent privacy issues got me all concerned.

I will check out Mozy.

Windows Guru
Windows Guru

Thanks given: 33 times
Thanks received: 137 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:56 am 

Hello Rick, you can try Zoolz, currently I am using it and I was able to add devices easily as I added my 2 sisters without any keys or complications. The great thing is that I do not pay anything, 4 GB free :)
Also your data will be encrypted and stored on Amazon S3 Storages.
You can check it here: http://www.zoolz.com/

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]