It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Message Author

Post subject: How to Create a Virtual Machine
New postPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:54 pm 

How to Create a Virtual Machine

To create a virtual machine in W7 without using 3rd party software you'll need to download an update from here, if you also want a virtual machine running XP, download the Virtual Machine XP-Mode from the same page. It'll install XP Pro SP3 on your machine all for free :o :lol:

Once you've installed Windows Virtual PC Beta you'll probably want to create other VM's running other OS's. To do that, do the following;

1. Navigate to (by default) your home folder and find the Virtual Machines folder, inside that folder on the toolbar click on 'Create Virtual Machine'

2. Name your VM and choose it's location.

3. Specify the amount of RAM you want the VM to use. I have 3Gb RAM on my PC, so i've been using 1.5GB RAM in the VM, works flawlessly. Uncheck the Networking box if you want the VM offline.

4. Set your VHDD prefrence, undo disk gives you temporary storage so you can change the VM without changing the VHDD. Click on create.

5. When your finished creating the VHDD you'll need to install the OS, navigate to the VM folder again and select the newly created VM. Click on settings.

6. Navigate to the DVD Drive tab and check the 'Open an ISO Image' if you're installing the OS from an ISO, or 'Access a physical drive' if you want to install from a DVD.

7. Double click the same selection as before to power up the VM and boot from the ISO/DVD, proceed through the installation as normal. I'm using a Vista Ultimate ISO.

Your DONE!!

P.S Please bear in mind that this program is a RC ;)

Last edited by Stu on Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 375 times
Thanks received: 441 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: How to Create a Virtual Machine
New postPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:54 am 

Just make sure that before you start the process you have an Intel processor that supports hardware virtualization :)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Thanks given: 9 times
Thanks received: 100 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:03 am 

thanks, this was helpful

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:37 pm 

You can use SecurAble to check processor compatibility for hardware virtualization.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Thanks given: 424 times
Thanks received: 213 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:41 pm 

Thanks, helpful tuts!
What's a pity! My CPU does not support Virtualization techs, but SecurAble told me that it's locked off.

Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Thanks given: 7 times
Thanks received: 1 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:19 pm 

can I install virtually MAC oS X in windows 7 is there we have any software to install virtually MAC on windows 7 or vista

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 0 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:25 pm 

I got OSX to work in VMware before. It was a very poor experience and not worth the hassle tbh!

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:52 pm 

Yeah virtualization is not a good playground for Mac OSX. I don't know whether it has to do with being UNIX based or not, but either way OSX has very very very picky hardware requirements, and you may not have the right environment in a virtual machine for it to run optimally. The only versions that may be suitable for that are hacked versions with added drivers that are found on torrent sites. I recommend running a multiple-boot environment on a Hackintosh to get the full experience.

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:34 pm 

MSherwood wrote:
Yeah virtualization is not a good playground for Mac OSX. I don't know whether it has to do with being UNIX based or not, but either way OSX has very very very picky hardware requirements, and you may not have the right environment in a virtual machine for it to run optimally. The only versions that may be suitable for that are hacked versions with added drivers that are found on torrent sites. I recommend running a multiple-boot environment on a Hackintosh to get the full experience.

Agreed, i spent hours messing with the VM's settings, and felt great satisfaction when i saw the login window. However, after waiting 20mins to login and not much less than that to open finder/expose/stacks. I deleted the whole thing, it was a bitterly disappointing experience :(

Site Admin
Site Admin
Windows Guru²
Windows Guru²

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:36 pm 

Well have no fear, I have a guide on the way that will make OSX as painless as ever. Have you gotten far trying to do it yourself yet? I haven't heard an update on your triple-booting yet.

Top Content Contributor
Top Content Contributor

Profile E-mail