It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Register for Windows Forums

Register for Windows Forums now to gain access to: post messages, download free books, competitions for great prizes, and get to know others. Members also see NO ADVERTS. Join today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
Message Author

Post subject: Re-Formatting a Flash drive back to it's original size
New postPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:00 pm 

I ran into an interesting problem not discussed on the web and some one gave me a wonderful ~4 step guide a while back and I LOST the darn directions!!!

It only came down to a matter of maybe four simple steps to follow and so SIMPLE and also in "laymen’s terms" but I forgot them!!!

Anyhow, I have / had a flash drive with a 12gb capacity.

I used it to create a Windows 10 recovery drive using the Microsoft “Media Creation tool” a few months ago.

A few days ago, I decided to update the "1803 build" on the flash drive to the newest "1903 build."

So I inserted the flash drive when prompted by the media creation tool program, but an error message soon popped up and said “Not enough disk space”.

Turns out that the “media creation tool” formatted or partitioned the flash drive the first time down to a 3.88gb size after it was done as that’s all it needed to create the recovery drive.

Anyhow, I decided to just format the drive and start over but…

The format program in windows explorer (when right clicking on the drive) now only sees the flash drive as a 3.88gb size drive and will NOT format it back to the original 12gb.

How do I get the drive BACK to it’s original 12gb size?

The directions someone provided were NOT via DOS...but by using a free program which I also forgot the name of.

Thanks for any assists… :crazy:

*I'm sure this information will be greatly appreciated by many as it is not a Win-10 specific problem.

Ron Kent

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Thanks given: 0 times
Thanks received: 1 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Re-Formatting a Flash drive back to it's original size
New postPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:18 pm 

While I know how to do this, writing my own instructions would be very time consuming and I would probably forget a step, or not explain very well.
As such, I searched on the following "flash drive remove partition" and got many replies.
I have pasted two methods below; and lots of good information available. Best wishes.

Method 1: Remove partition on USB drive in Windows 10 Disk Management

Step 1: Open Disk Management by right-clicking Start menu and choosing Disk Management.

Step 2: Locate the USB drive and the partition to be deleted. Right-click on it and select “Delete Volume” option from context menu.

Step 3: System prompts the deletion causes data and asks to backup data in advance. Click “Yes” button if you have created a backup

Method 2: Delete partition on USB drive via Diskpart command
(if Method # 1 won't work; this is more complicated)

Step 1: Launch Diskpart from your compute. Press Windows + R to open Run window where you should type diskpart and click OK. Click Yes button if you are prompted by User Account Control.

Step 2: In the Command Prompt type list volume and press Enter key. Then all partition on your computer will be listed and each volume is followed with a number. Identify the partition you want to delete and remember the number.

Step 3: Type select volume # and press Enter. Please replace # with the number of the volume to be deleted.

Step 4: Type delete volume and press Enter. Close Command Prompt when you see “DiskPart successfully deleted the selected partition”

As well; you can use partition management software, such as EaseUS, Paragon, Aomei, and there are others.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Thanks received: 3 times
 Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:57 am 

Thanks for the reply,

Have you ever used a program called "DiskGenius"? I think it used to be called "Partition Magic"?

Any inputs...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:19 am 

Thanks again for the reply as it helped me find EXACTLY what I was looking for that I lost a few months ago!

I have posted a link to the free program with step by step and pictures to help anyone who may need it.

Make sure to scroll down a ways to get to the DiskGenius section with pictures.

http://www.eassos.com/blog/how-to-resto ... -capacity/

Thanks again for the help!!!

Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]